Woodfordes Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg167

Reaction score
My newfound foray in to Homebrew has led me to a slight obsession with talking about ales and sampling quite a few. A recent trip to Norfolk saw us conviniently 35 mins away from Woodfordes. After a 2.5 hour walk with the dog on the beach I convinced the girlfriend we should eat at this little pub is heard of.....

We had to eat outside as the dog cannot use a knife and fork :-) my first pint was the Nelsons Revenge as I've brewed it at home. First thing to note was the small head on it, exactly like mine turned out. Perhaps this is the style of it? Flavour was just the same, a hint of spice there in it too. Lovely warming notes from this and the malt notes. Quite a pleasing pint and knowing what you get in the can is similar. Only thing I will say is it went down a lot easier. I am wondering if that was a combination of a major thirst and also bottle conditioned seems to make a beer gassy? Perhaps I should leave one to stand a bit. By the end of that pint, it was obvious I couldn't drive, went to my head straight off. We ordered food and I decided to try the next one.

Second pint, Admirals Reserve! Wow what a pint! Lovely rich fruity notes in this and nothing is close in comparison that I have ever tried. I have read about plum/damson notes and they're not wrong there. A slight bitterness at the end of the mouthful means the sweet/rich fruit flavour is not too rich and stays moorish. It warmed me up, and as the sun was shining I remember thinking that this would be nice on a summers evening as well, something I'd think was refreshing especially drunk at 12 degrees in 20 degree heat rather than 12 degrees in 7 degree heat.

Believe me those two were enough. After finishing my wherry gravy and beef in a yorkshire and using my saddest puppy face to fight for leftovers of the girlfriends burger with the dog, the two pints had me gone for about an hour. I felt like I was 16 again.
It was such a shame I had not room for more as it is a beautiful looking place and the gift shop is great too. Infact someone there let slip something about the next kit being worked on so let's hope that comes off :smile

Being in the shop nteresting to see and purchase the other ales including some festive ones, as the homebrew kit only covers half of it really.

One thing I will say is having had Wherry on tap in other pubs, do not judge the wherry by that for even the bottles for that matter is I found personally our homebrew kits pack a lot more flavour than those.

My only regret is going a week after the brewery tours finished. I will add some photos to this thread when I get them from my laptop.

Latest posts

Back