Woodforde's Wherry at M&S?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've bought a bottle of (bottle conditioned) 'Norfolk Bitter' today at M&S, which the label says is brewed by Woodfordes, and it features the 'wherry' boat image. It's 4.5%ABV.

I'm guessing that might be repackaged Wherry then? I'm going to try it tonight and compare it to my Wherry homebrew! Maybe the colour, if not the flavour, will at least be a clue. However, one reviewer on the M&S website says they think it's based on Admiral's Reserve, though they don't account for the Wherry boat image!!!

It would be very interesting if it is Wherry (or one of the other Woodforde's brews for which their is a kit), and is being stocked by M&S, as I'm sure many Wherry-homebrewers would be able to try it when it would otherwise not be stocked nearby.

I don't usually bump like this, but really, has none of you come across this in M&S? Maybe it's not the usual hangout of the cost conscious homebrewer!

M&S are doing a good range of beers from various breweries. I saw a couple of bottle conditioned ones that looked interesting :D

morethanworts said:
I don't usually bump like this, but really, has none of you come across this in M&S? Maybe it's not the usual hangout of the cost conscious homebrewer!

haha that's probably what it is...

Thanks - I was beginning to see tumbleweed drift past after the mention of buying beer from M&S :D It's certainly no place to accumulate empty bottles, but well done them for having a range of bottle conditioned beers, including some belgians too.

I forgot to say, I duly sampled the aforementioned M&S 'Norfolk Bitter' last night, alongside my own Wherry. It's a fraction, but only a fraction, darker than mine, but with noticeably less body. Mine was brewed to 21.5L, for what it's worth. Both 4.5% ABV.

Taste-wise, mine had 40-50g of Golding pellets in it a few days, so was always going to be hoppier. The M&S was very clean, with very little sediment (which had barely been disturbed by being in the bottom of a pushchair for an hour :whistle: ). It was very pleasant, but I wouldn't be rushing back, unless I wanted to harvest the yeast.

But anyway, is it the Wherry in disguise??? :hat:

The wherry (sailing boat) is Woodfordes logo, so it could be any of their beers and not necessarily wherry. The ABV seems to high for wherry, so it may be admirals reserve.

Back