Woodforde's Wherry Real Ale Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1454

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had this 2 can kit fermenting since the 20th December.
The air lock is still bubbling. I've checked the gravity on the 2nd Jan then on the 5th Jan and again today. It's not really moving. It's staying around 1.010.

I used the yeast that come with the kit. Usually I'll use Gervin but decided to use the kit yeast this time. I've kept the temps between what they recommend all the way through.

I tried gently moving the yeast from the bottom back into the beer on the 5th Jan. But all the time the air lock has been active anyway.

Just wondered if I should just leave it or go with that because the gravity reading is not dropping it is basically done?

I've read that this kit takes a while to ferment out. But if it's not moving is it worth waiting any longer?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

If it's at 1.010 and you know that that is an accurate hydrometer reading, then it's probably done. I've done the wherry kit with a variety of different dried yeasts and I can't remember one that finished as low as that.

Have a look at this, do you know how much yeast you got with the kit - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/the-last-stuck-woodfordes-kit-thread.74911/

There was 2 packets of 6g. I added them both.

If it's at 1.010 and you know that that is an accurate hydrometer reading, then it's probably done. I've done the wherry kit with a variety of different dried yeasts and I can't remember one that finished as low as that.

Yer it's accurate as far as I can tell. It's dropped by 0.002 over the past week max.
The bubbling is not fast. It's like every 2-3 mins or so.

Back