Woodfords Wherry finished or not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simoncbr600steelie

Reaction score
Hi my Woodfords Wherry has been fermenting for 8 days but has stopped at 1013, has it finished or should I give it a gentle stir.
Thanks

Fermentation I find tends to be on a curve you will get an initial slow start followed by a period of very fast fermentation and then it will slow down to a crawl I find it’s not unusual to take longer for the last couple of points than the rest of the fermentation combined. As @Clint says give it a few more days it’s likely the yeast is still working away.

Fermentation I find tends to be on a curve you will get an initial slow start followed by a period of very fast fermentation and then it will slow down to a crawl I find it’s not unusual to take longer for the last couple of points than the rest of the fermentation combined. As @Clint says give it a few more days it’s likely the yeast is still working away.
Thanks for your advice, there’s no activity at the airlock and it was bubbling a couple of times a minute this morning, just seemed a bit strange and I’ve read about this kit stalling at 1020 on this forum.

Thanks for your advice, there’s no activity at the airlock and it was bubbling a couple of times a minute this morning, just seemed a bit strange and I’ve read about this kit stalling at 1020 on this forum.
If I remember correctly the big problem with Wherry was the kits only had 1 7g sachet of yeast they doubled this and it seemed to mostly solve the problem.

I should say that it is possible that it really is finished (1.013 is a little high but not unreasonably so, though for me this kit typically finished out at about 1.010 the times I brewed it), and likewise could be stalled in which case a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon may help rouse the yeast. Personally though I would give it a few more days first as it could just be a very slow ferment at the end kit instructions are notoriously optimistic in their timing and it’s not unusual for beer to take a couple of weeks or more to finish fermenting.

If I remember correctly the big problem with Wherry was the kits only had 1 7g sachet of yeast they doubled this and it seemed to mostly solve the problem.

I should say that it is possible that it really is finished (1.013 is a little high but not unreasonably so, though for me this kit typically finished out at about 1.010 the times I brewed it), and likewise could be stalled in which case a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon may help rouse the yeast. Personally though I would give it a few more days first as it could just be a very slow ferment at the end kit instructions are notoriously optimistic in their timing and it’s not unusual for beer to take a couple of weeks or more to finish fermenting.
Thanks again for your advice, I’ve just seen that it appears to be going again so hopefully all is good for a few more days, 👍

Back