Work in progress, Garage/Brewhouse!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlout

Reaction score
This is my little ongoing project at the moment (little? :shock: ). A couple of years back we bought a new wooden garage to replace the old one which was falling to bits. The original was barely big enough for a car at 16x8 feet so i went for a 20x10 to give me some room to work at the back.

The first problem which was immediately apparent was that the doorway was too low to get my truck in :shock: So rather than cut the doors higher, i decided to raise the garage a few inches of the ground, using battens like so -

16072011290.jpg

...and then shuttered around the base with planks to allow me to fill with concrete, effectively setting the garage on a raised plinth which was essential to keep it watertight -

10072012530.jpg

I had always planned to insulate the walls to make it somewhere i could use all year round, as back at this time i was quite into my cars and often worked on them. I have since lost interest in this a bit but my brewing ventures gave me a new reason to create this extra space, which will now not only be insulated but heated and/or cooled too.

So first the insulation started going in this week -

02072012517.jpg

02072012518.jpg

02072012519.jpg

And then the walls were sheeted with OSB board, and i've had my electrician mate round to fit lighting and sockets etc -

10072012527.jpg

10072012528.jpg

This is as far as i've got up to now, next step is to give the whole place a lick of white emulsion and build some shelving, workbench etc. Then finally i'll be fitting a small air-source heat pump which is by far the most efficient way of heating or cooling as required. Then i'll have a very handy man-cave where i can work on my car, brew beer, and store beer!

Will update as i go for those who aren't bored already :lol:

Cheers :cheers:

Update -

Give it all a lick of paint and the sparky came back to hook everything up. Not much left to do now apart from build some shelving for my brewing gear and of course beer stash, and sometime before the weather gets colder i'll get the heat pump in.

Now the big question - do i sell the car and buy a pool table? :grin:

13072012535.jpg

13072012536.jpg

13072012537.jpg

13072012538.jpg

13072012539.jpg

13072012540.jpg

13072012541.jpg

Excellent conversion. Wait till the lawnmower goes in the kids bikes, skateboards gardening tools ......... :D

What's your aim, All AG brewing ? One of those complete beer systems in shiney stainless steel would look good in there... :twisted:

piddledribble said:
Excellent conversion. Wait till the lawnmower goes in the kids bikes, skateboards gardening tools ......... :D

What's your aim, All AG brewing ? One of those complete beer systems in shiney stainless steel would look good in there... :twisted:

We have a smaller garden shed for such things, that's SHMBO's territory :grin:

I'm just doing kits at the moment but who knows, it will just be good to move my stash and equipment out of the house firstly. I may buy a 3rd FV and have 2 brews on the go at once to build up stocks for christmas etc. At the moment my sources are supplying me with more bottles than i can fill so maybe it's time to step up operations :cheers:

Now all you need is a kegerator, bar, beer pumps, stools, and a pool table. Oh and a nice shiny AG setup. :D You do realise we all need to be invited to christen the man shed. So you need to step up that brewing a tad. :party: :party:

Back