Worst thing you've done..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
And gotten away with..
I love seeing the posts on here about dropping stuff in FV's, is it ruined, etc.
But rarely notice a follow up/end result.
And as I just poured a pale ale that tasted great, when I noticed a slug floating in it! (I keep my gear in an outside garden plastic thingy and the slugs love it)
What's the worst you've done and gotten away with?
I also forgot completely to sterilize a fv and brewed a cider that had no ill affects.
And the slug pale ale taste's just fine..

I`ve had the slug thing happen, just binned the pint I`d poured.
I also dropped my wedding ring into a brew then plunged my un-sanitary hand in to retrieve it, that turned out ok as well.
on the negative side, one of my early brews, I left it in my shed to ferment but it was far too warm, that turned out like a liquid fart.

I've plunged by unsanitized hand into the boiler when my hops were blocking the tap. That beer is still one of my best.

And as I just poured a pale ale that tasted great, when I noticed a slug floating in it! .

disgusted-face.jpg

:sick:

My 2nd or 3rd beer kit I did, I checked fermentation had started when I noticed a hair floating on the krausen, could have been mine or the Dogs.. sanitised tea spoon and fished it out..

I know its no slug dry hop

I`ve had the slug thing happen, just binned the pint I`d poured.
I also dropped my wedding ring into a brew then plunged my un-sanitary hand in to retrieve it, that turned out ok as well.
on the negative side, one of my early brews, I left it in my shed to ferment but it was far too warm, that turned out like a liquid fart.

I think I would of chucked it had it not one of the last of that batch, plus it was my last day of work for Christmas so had just sunk a few in the local.
Not sure if I'm painting a good picture of myself here..:oops:

When I studied for my professional exams, in the law paper there was a well known case in relation to product liability involving a slug in a bottle of ginger beer bought from a shop ...

I have a bad habit of sticking my finger in the wort to have a taste ....

Also during an AG brew two(!) battery powered thermometers failed and at first I was going to do the "finger test", but then I remembered a wall thermometer, stuck into the wort without sanitising! Brew still came out good.

And gotten away with..
I love seeing the posts on here about dropping stuff in FV's, is it ruined, etc.
But rarely notice a follow up/end result.
And as I just poured a pale ale that tasted great, when I noticed a slug floating in it! (I keep my gear in an outside garden plastic thingy and the slugs love it)
What's the worst you've done and gotten away with?
I also forgot completely to sterilize a fv and brewed a cider that had no ill affects.
And the slug pale ale taste's just fine..

i would imagine the slime gives it a glycerine type mouth feel, i often have a few pals round for a few beers heres a pic of one of our sessions i think it was IPA we were drinking that day,

beer-slugs.jpg

When I studied for my professional exams, in the law paper there was a well known case in relation to product liability involving a slug in a bottle of ginger beer bought from a shop ...

The classic case of Donohue vs Stevenson. Established the duty of care principle. :thumb:

Mine was knowing there was a fruit fly in the kitchen but i carried on anyway, i started to add more water with a jug and the second time i went to pour the water in the little fecker was sat on the inside of the FV, i got it to fly away and carried on and the wine turned out OK, i made a fly trap so it would never happen again.

My most recent cock up was doing a massive over pitch into bitter. I harvested and put about 1/2 a yeast cake into a 2L starter and pitched it. I then packed most of the brew into mini kegs. I think the yeast must have been stressed or something because the beer basically tasted like farts because all of the sulphur disolved in it.

After a bit of venting the kegs the farty taste and smell disapeared. Curiosly enough the few bottles I packaged tasted fine

i would imagine the slime gives it a glycerine type mouth feel, i often have a few pals round for a few beers heres a pic of one of our sessions i think it was IPA we were drinking that day,

The main thing was that it was highly carbed compared to the one I poured the misses.
It may of had a slight strange taste to it. The more I've thought about it today the more repulsed I am with myself:sick:

The main thing was that it was highly carbed compared to the one I poured the misses.
It may of had a slight strange taste to it. The more I've thought about it today the more repulsed I am with myself:sick:

The Froggies have Escargot et Garlic Butter We have Le Jardin slug et IPA whats the difference a nog of crusty bread and butter and away you go:lol: Been looking for ideas for christmas day starters Mmmmm

I have a bad habit of sticking my finger in the wort to have a taste ....

Also during an AG brew two(!) battery powered thermometers failed and at first I was going to do the "finger test", but then I remembered a wall thermometer, stuck into the wort without sanitising! Brew still came out good.

I remember the case and even recognised the names Donoghue and Stevenson!

Worst beer I ever made was years ago - it tasted of Brillo Pad and I can think of no more obvious reason than careless cleaning and negligent rinsing.

It was truly horrible, but I drank most of it anyway. Long time ago. 35 Years?

I think it would have to be after a mate moved into a flat. There was a demi-john that had been left in the garden with an unknown drink in it. It did have a bung in it though. About 6 months after he moved in he had a party and he decided to go and get it from he garden and dare everyone to try some. He had some and gradually we all had a glass to show we werent scared. I still dont know what it was but we were all off our heads and one bloke ended up in his underpants wrapped in a net cutain chasing women around the street.

I killed a man once....no, wait, that's probably not what you meant. I'll get me coat.

But seriously, I've done the dropping things into FV. Once opened the lid of the plastic FV and it flicked up and knocked the thermostat casing off and into the bottom of the vessel. Without thinking I plunged my unsterilized arm in to retrieve it. That brew tasted OK. A few brews later, the exact same thing happened, only this time I took the time to sterilize my arm first. That brew was also fine.

NOW, the thermostat case is taped on thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back