Wort should be Wurt!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
Apparently "wort" should be said "wurt". I just can't get to grips with this. Does anybody else have this trouble or will i just embarrass myself in conversation with other brewers. :wha:

abeyptfc said:
also lager should be lager and not larger :D

To be more specific - lager should be lager and not that tasteless fizzy **** that gets peddled out under licence by multi national conglomerates who have no respect for the paying consumer.

Ah, I feel better for that. :whistle:

dennisking said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
Well in Barnsley we say wort cos we're posh and well spoken my good fella. ;)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You have been in my presence my good chap, you have heard my well spoken word. :grin:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
dennisking said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
Well in Barnsley we say wort cos we're posh and well spoken my good fella. ;)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You have been in my presence my good chap, you have heard my well spoken word. :grin:
your talking to an Essex boy here - know wat I meen

I must be honest and confess that I just can't say "wurt". To me, from a very early age, it has always been "wort"...can't change it now. I struggle in mixed company (brewers/non-brewers) to remember to say "wurt".

These days I live in Yorkshire, so I don't have to explain why I say things differently! :grin:

Take care
Jon

Well "word" is pronounced "wurd", so "wort" should be pronounced "wurt", and sounds best in a Devon accent (with a very pronounced "r") :lol:

Dictionary.com, he say:

wort
1 [wurt, wawrt]
–noun
the unfermented or fermenting infusion of malt that after fermentation becomes beer or mash.
Origin:
before 1000; Middle English; Old English wyrt; cognate with German Würze spice

So either is OK. If you actually go to dictionary.com, they have an audio that does both pronunciations

Pronunciation of brewing terms is really regionally variable AFAIK.

Wort can be any of wert, wurt or wort.
Saaz can vary from zotz to saz
Not to mention the whole trub/troob thing....

richc said:
...(snip)Wort can be any of wert, wurt or wort.

I'm struggling to see the pronounciation difference between wert and wurt? Can you spell that out phonetically?

Saaz I'd expect to vary being an imported word (from Czech?). I'm told by a Dutch linguist that Hoegaarden is pronounced Hoo Harden (with that back of the throat hawking noise on the har) not Hoe Garden but you'll get funny looks if you use that pronounciation in this country.

Troob - really?

TheMumbler said:
richc said:
...(snip)Wort can be any of wert, wurt or wort.

I'm struggling to see the pronounciation difference between wert and wurt? Can you spell that out phonetically?

Almost like woort, but not quite....

Troob - really?

About half the Americans seem to pronounce it that way...

I might be wrong, but wouldn't it be because it's a German word, and should have an "umlaut" over the u?

It's been part of English for over 1000 years, I think we can spell it how we like, now.

If it has been in use for that long I'd say we can pronounce it how we like :)

Maybe the variation in the US is to do with German immigrants taking their pronounciation with them so you get regional splits according to who settled where. I'd the more italian pronuciation of oregano over there follows from a similar process. *shrugs*

Back