Wort should be Wurt!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, I think this goes back to the original post - a lot of newbies to brewing (myself included) will only ever have seen a lot of brewing terms written down. I certainly have never spoken to anyone about "wort", "trub" or "kreusen" (or is it krausen?!) so it's not immediately obvious, such is the nature of our brilliant language, I guess! :lol:

It also doesn't help that a lot of the instructional stuff on the web, i.e Brewing Network podcasts are American...It's a good job we don't use a lot of aluminium in brewing eh? :grin:

richc said:
About half the Americans seem to pronounce it that way...

Really? Being from the east coast of the US, I can't think of anyone that would say troob. Buncha weirdos those Americans ;)

Must be a West Coast thing -I know Jamil Zainasheff et al all say "troob" and I guess they're all from the California area

I had assumed it was pronounced wart for many years until on a brewery tour at York Brewery (nice!) where they set the record straight & told us it was pronounced as if there was a E in it. Personally I dont think theres a difference phoneticaly between wurt and wert!

As for Kr-ow-zen (?) i've really got no idea!

I always assumed they were pronounced as if they were German words as there are a few of German sounding origin as Anglo-Saxon is a derivitive of old High German.

Wort (pronouned like in word), Krausen (like Thousand) and lauter (like louder)

I pronounce it wert and troob. I've had 8 years of German so my natural inclination is to turn the 'w' into a 'v' as well. That would get me strange looks here. :-)

I know people who say wort (Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head!) and trub (rhymes with pub).

There are people here who pronounce Fuggles as Foogles. I always thought it was a short U as in dumb. :hmm:

I've only ever heard it pronounced Fug-gulls (not foo-gulls). I think the double g pretty strongly suggests that pronunciation, but I could be misremembering that.

Latest posts

Back