wow recipe for 25l

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran

Reaction score
i just bought the stuff for a large batch of wow 25 litres but what needs changing from the 1 gallon recipe

To make 1 gallon:
1 litre White Grape Juice
1 litre Orange Juice, no bits, budget brands are fine
around 800g Sugar
1 tsp Pectolase - see below
Tannin - see below
1 tsp Glycerine (optional)
Yeast & Nutrient - see below

obviously 5 litres of grape and orange juice 4kg sugar and yeast is same but what about tannin and pectolose

well its either 1/2 a teaspoon * 5 = 2.5 teaspoons or 5 mugs of strong black tea, I would think. As for the pectolase I don't think you need to use x5 maybe 3 teaspoons might do it.

I know for sure that Moley makes it in 25L batches so if he sees this he will let you know the corect dosages
PB10033002.jpg

HLA91 said:
I know for sure that Moley makes it in 25L batches so if he sees this he will let you know the corect dosages
Wrong, Moley makes it in 15 litre batches.

For 3 gal, 5 gal or whatever, scale everything up with the possible exception of the yeast, with that use 1 dsp for 3 gals or 1 tbsp for 5-6 gals.

Oh I thought those bottles were 25l, my bad, what containers are you using for 25l then?

For larger batches I use the Young's screw-topped fermenters, as sold in Wilkinson's, which actually hold 30 litres if filled right up to the neck.

Mind you, that's quite a chunk to lift from floor to worktop when it comes to racking.

Agree with Moley here too. I did a 25ltr batch of mushmulla-loquat - and i had it in my attic fermenting. It cleared great until i lugged it down 3 flights of stairs to bottle. I then had to clear it again with kwikclear which it did after 36 hours then i kifted it again on to a table to bottle and its done the same all clouded up. I did leave it a day to settle but the wine is still clouded up in the bottles and is taking forever to clear, even chucking a bottle in the frodge didnt help either.
So stick it in its final bottling place and dont move it after that.

im using the youngs screw top fermenter for this and have left it at 20 litres incase it explodes allover the place like it did in a demijohn but it dosent seem to be frothing like the other did

I make 25lt all the time for WOW. Like Moley I use Youngs fermenters. There is plenty of headspace to allow for the froth. I agree they are heavy but as they have good handles they are easy for two people to carry. As OH drinks it, I think it's only fair for her to help :D :D

Bob

What is the purpose of the Glycerin added??

Also, in most recipes I see pectolase being used - always thought that was only for certain fruit based wines to ensure they clear easier. Many years ago I did some sort of WOW brew and don't remember using pectolase, it did clear though ok.

Please enlighten me.

The Pectolase is an an enzyme which will break down the pectin present in the fruit juice, preventing hazy wine.

The Glycerin (as far as I know) aids smoothness and adds a sweetish quality (but I'm not absolutey certain on that).

Smoothness, ‘mouth feel’, call it what you like.
Try a batch with, try a batch without and make your own mind up.

Pectolase is like Eric said. I add it to any fruit based wine (including fruit juices) whether a recipe calls for it or not. You're probably adding less than 10p to the price of a gallon, and it can't do any harm.

Back