Wow wine plz help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmatey

Reaction score
Hi , I am currently brewing a pineapple and white grape juice type wow and I filled it only to about 3 litres so far and after day 3 its frothing really badly that as it ferments it fill the bubbles in the demi John with gas and pushes all this froth / bubbles up to the air lock.
I am having to nurse it a long and keep swirling it to lower this rising stuff. Its harder work than looking after a baby lol. Is there any anti foaming stuff for home brew.
Any help or advice greatly received.

Hi, I am in Oxford and the wine is brewing in the kitchen so its about 16 to 20 degrees.

Hi Jason, from your description I guessed that you might be using a heat belt or tray, hence my question.

But if you're not and it's just at kitchen temperature then I'm surprised it's generating that much foam, but it can be a problem with pulpy juices.

However, you posted your question on Saturday, it's now Tuesday, so hopefully the foam should have subsided a bit by now.

oldbloke said:
Pineapple pulp, not much you can do except not use it next time.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but use less or switch brands.

My standard white includes pineapple, I started one on Saturday but with 3 white grape, 2 apple, 1 orange and 1 pineapple in a 15 litre bottle, initially filled to 13l. There was some pulp on the top over the weekend but it has fallen back now, and that's at around 18C.

By the way, my airlock's not bubbling, what should I do? :whistle:

Hi, yeah its all calmed down now but starting to think it could be the yeast as this is with a pot of yeast I recently bought rather than the sachet I normally use from wilko. It seems to be making the actual bubbles skin over and these fill with gas and rise up to airlock, not the actual wine or froth just the large gas filled frothy bubbles. They just dont seem to burst.

Ive always used champagne yeast with Pineapple. You can keep the temp lower and its low foaming, works a treat :thumb:

Agree with Moley, its great in smaller quantities :cheers:

jasonmatey said:
Hi, yeah its all calmed down now but starting to think it could be the yeast as this is with a pot of yeast I recently bought rather than the sachet I normally use from wilko. It seems to be making the actual bubbles skin over and these fill with gas and rise up to airlock, not the actual wine or froth just the large gas filled frothy bubbles. They just dont seem to burst.

Are you using a tin of bakers yeast, this yeast really does produce a large amount of foam.

Hi again and thanks for the replies guys.
The yeast I used this time was;

VinClasse - Dried Active Yeast - 100g Tub

100 Gram Tub Dried Active Yeast For Use In Winemaking & Brewing.

Useage - 1 Level Teaspoon Per Gallon.

Directions - Stir Into Prepared Liquid. Activation Will Be Achieved Quickly If Kept In A Warm Temperature (21 - 24 Degrees).

I bought online recently.

It has settled right down now, but was really hard work keep cleaning airlock and scooping out foam stuff before going to work for the day in case the demijohn exploded!

Hi, I tend to ferment beer and wine with a blow off tube. A rubber bung with a piece of siphon tube running into a milk bottle or something with boiled water or sterilising solution in.
You could always put an airlock on after a day or so as the fermentation subsides.

Latest posts

Back