XL Bully

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have owned many dogs the biggest were springer spaniels I have never understood who anyone would want one of these I know when they attack people say it's not bad dogs it's bad owners I am not convinced.

A woman in her 50s has died after an XL bully attack at a house in east London, the Met Police has confirmed.
Officers were called to Cornwall Close, Hornchurch, east London at about 13:12 BST on Monday.
The woman was treated by medics from London Ambulance Service, but was pronounced dead at the scene.
Due to the threat posed, armed officers attended and safely seized two dogs, the Met said.
They were registered XL bully dogs and had been shut inside a room before they arrived.
The family of the woman, who was the owner of the dogs, are being supported by officers, the force added.
From 1 February, it became a criminal offence to own the XL bully breed in England and Wales without an exemption certificate.

Anyone who owns one of the dogs must have had the animal neutered, have it microchipped and keep it muzzled and on a lead in public, among other restrictions.
The government move to ban XL bullies followed a series of attacks on people.

BBC news

I have owned many dogs the biggest were springer spaniels I have never understood who anyone would want one of these I know when they attack people say it's not bad dogs it's bad owners I am not convinced.
On the other hand, I'm perfectly convinced that it's a lot of old tosh. They have been bred to be the way they are. It's their nature to be aggressive. I suppose the same idiots would argue its safe to keep lion or a rattlesnake provided it's brought up properly! These people are dangerous fools.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly convinced that it's a lot of old tosh. They have been bred to be the way they are. It's their nature to be aggressive. I suppose the same idiots would argue its safe to keep lion or a rattlesnake provided it's brought up properly! These people are dangerous fools.
Springer spaniels? My dad used to keep them. Absolutely barking!
And that was just the old man!

I get the no bad dogs just bad owners thing and that pretty much any dog could cause someone serious harm if it wanted to but these dogs are another whole level. I believe with these that the temperament is within the breeding and they potentially have a shorter fuse than most other dogs, so why keep something in you house that may one day kill you, it's lunacy.

As touched upon above you could raise a bear from a cub, it be friendly to you and others, but just one day it might wake up hungry and fancy a human sized snack because they are an apex predator, no getting away from that.

At the extreme end it reminds me of this story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...us Els, 40, an army,been rescued from a flood.

Spot on Graz, people walk along footpaths in fields of cows every day with no problems at all you would be surprised how many people are injured and killed by them every year.

I get the no bad dogs just bad owners thing and that pretty much any dog could cause someone serious harm if it wanted to but these dogs are another whole level. I believe with these that the temperament is within the breeding and they potentially have a shorter fuse than most other dogs, so why keep something in you house that may one day kill you, it's lunacy.

The problem is dogs as a fashion accessory, exacerbated by this being a new 'breed' that isn't genetically distinct yet.

People want the latest fashion dog, but there's a limited supply from breeders with a good reputation, and because of their popularity there's a long waiting list for very expensive pups.

People get a bit desperate for a pup and then buy from less reputable breeders. Puppy farms start pumping out pups from any old dogs, and because there's no breed standard or genetic distinction it's easy to get away with and highly profitable.

In recent years I've seen similar issues with Cockapoos and before that there were a lot of French Bulldogs with horrific health problems, so it's not a new problem. The difference in this case is that they're making a much more powerful dog, and I'm certain that there will be some 'breeders' that are bringing in DNA from dogs that were bred for fighting.

Thing is my JRT,Pip,would have your hand off if she didn't like you but you could easily give her a kick up the ar5e or chuck her over the fence. You can't chuck 10 stone of muscle and teeth over the fence or even wrestle with it. You're dead if it decides to finish you off. Only way you'll stop it is stick something sharp through it or shoot it.

Spot on Clint what chance would you have against this -

1716321749916.png

Spot on Graz, people walk along footpaths in fields of cows every day with no problems at all you would be surprised how many people are injured and killed by them every year.
My wife did not believe me when I told her about 20 people per year killed by cows in UK annually. No idea how many injuries and life changing consequences.

Cows are most dangerous if you take a dog in the field and/or they have calves. People taking dogs into fields with ANY livestock are asking for trouble.
If you are stupid enough to do this and get charged or surrounded by cows LET YOUR DOG GO...DROP THE LEAD,UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PICK YOUR DOG UP!!
The cows see the dog as the threat. They won't generally bother you unless you're attached to the dog but you still need to try and get away or get something between you and the cows. They won't catch the dog.

I personally think that the "no bad dogs, just bad owners" idea, whilst not being completely accurate does have a ring of truth. Larger, potentially more aggressive breeds are often sought out by chavvy types to compensate for their half inch willies, or drug dealers to use as weapons.

The main problem with most dog aggression is that the dogs are often cooped up in houses for 23 hours of the day with no exercise and no mental stimulation to release physical and mental energy, thus making them a potential time bomb. That isn't the dog's fault: it's entirely the fault of the owner. Far too many working breeds are expected to live a sedentary lifestyle that is unhealthy for them purely because some human thinks they look nice and can't be bothered to research the breed to find out what they really need.

Another thing that seems to be a factor in most of the attacks is that there is usually more than one dog involved, so maybe a pack mentality takes over if the person in charge of the dogs isn't dominant enough over them.

I've met several xl bullies that have been wonderful dogs because the owners put in the effort to meet their physical and mental needs.

As far as I know the XL bullies all need delivery by cesarean section , the pups are too big for the bitch to deliver naturally . It's part of the reason for the high prices . It reminds me of the Chinese gold fish monstrosities, with huge eyes who can barely swim , it's just another reason not to buy one .
I know someone who bought one hoping to breed her and make money, I'm not sure whether he broke even or not , but the vet was a lot richer after his venture.
The good dog vs bad owner argument can be just as easily used for owning an AK 47 BTW

Latest posts

Back