Yeast advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack09

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a bit of advice regarding my cider this year.
I have 5l of juice in a demijohn and sterilized the juice with campden tablets. I left for 48 hours and rehydrated a sachet of Nottingham ale yeast. SG 1046

I've left it in my garage as the temp is around 14-16°C. I wrapped it in some sheets in case the temp dropped. After a couple of days there was some minor activity and a couple of surface bubble but nothing major.
I've just checked with my hydrometer and the reading hasn't moved.

I've just brought it inside as I thought the temp may of been too cold.

Can anyone offer any advice on anything I could do to kick start it or if they think the temperature was indeed too cold?

Many thanks

Jack

Can you give us your recipe?
Also, how many campden tablets did you use?
Was the start gravity SG 1.046?

Sorry for all the questions : P

The recipe was locally sourced apples and I chucked a few bramleys in as well.
The starting gravity was 1046, the same it's been for last couple of years.
I put 2 campden tablets in and waited for 2 days before pitching rehydrated Nottingham ale yeast.
Update today:
I've come home and there appears to be no activity since bringing it inside. There is a partial light film on surface of juice and I'm worried it will develop and go bad.
I have placed demijohn in tepid water in sink and the airlock has started to bubble slowly.
I did taste the juice yesterday and it is still sweet.

Would it be worth re-sterilising with campden and re-pitching yeast? Or should I have faith and keep it warm?

Back