Yeast Harvesting Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by Oblivious, Sep 9, 2009.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2010 #21

Mark1964

Mark1964

Mark1964

Landlord.

After you have collected the yeast how would you store it also how long would it keep for??

2. Apr 28, 2011 #22

scotsloon

scotsloon

scotsloon

As a diabetic I'm happy to share with you that these containers are urine sample bottles :rofl: :rofl:
    so don't employ used ones :lol: :lol:

But a quick visit to your surgery practice nurse might bring forth a couple of freebies

3. Nov 6, 2011 #23

46.philh

46.philh

46.philh

Regular.

Do you use all the yeast / trub from a 23 ltr brew when doing the rinsing ?

Is it harder to split from the trub if you have just used a single FV and not dropped into a secondary during the fermentation process ?

4. Nov 6, 2011 #24

evanvine

evanvine

evanvine

Landlord.

No, you just get a bit more crap that you have to throw away!

5. Nov 16, 2011 #25

RobWalker

RobWalker

RobWalker

I've just done this but because I'm awesome at syphoning, my trub is almost all thick gunk and very, very little liquid. Will it still settle out?

6. Nov 16, 2011 #26

evanvine

evanvine

evanvine

Landlord.

Make up to 1 ltr with chlorine free water, you will have no probs with settling then.

7. Nov 17, 2011 #27

RobWalker

RobWalker

RobWalker

ah, so add water, give it a stir and leave it to settle? it's been about 9 hours in the fridge and it's seperated, but there's only a drab of watery stuff on the top!

8. Nov 17, 2011 #28

evanvine

evanvine

evanvine

Landlord.

The important thing is you should see two distinct layers, the bottom layer being the trub.
    The taller and narrower the vessel the better

9. Nov 20, 2011 #29

RobWalker

RobWalker

RobWalker

Got it. it's in stage two now, I'll be pitching the entire remaining yeast today to give this method a test. if it doesn't work, how long will wort last without being fermented in an airtight, sterilized vessel?

10. Apr 4, 2012 #30

dennisdk2000

dennisdk2000

dennisdk2000

Novice brewer Supporting Member

How do you go about washing the yeast? I take it would have to be VERY thorough with cleaning and very gentle with yeast?

I have to say I'm very intrigued about doing this, have also been reading about harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned beer. Something I'll have to try, I think!

Dennis

11. Apr 5, 2012 #31

graysalchemy

graysalchemy

graysalchemy

I don't wash it I just put the slurry in a sterilized 2l PET bottle, put the lid on and keep in the fridge. 2l will seperate out into 1l of yeast and trub and 1 l of beer. The beer and CO2 keeps it sterile. If you use it with in a few months it should be fine or you could make a starter to get it going again.

The only reason I don't wash it is because I could never see differing layers and always had dificulty in splitting the layers I did see. Perhaps it is advisable to was but certainly keeping it in beer is a good idea.

I am also going to try freezing some with glycerine. :thumb:

12. May 15, 2012 #32

dennisdk2000

dennisdk2000

dennisdk2000

Novice brewer Supporting Member

Have you had a go at this, if so, how did you get on?

Dennis

13. Oct 12, 2012 #33

Gayle

Gayle

Gayle

Landlord.

I'm interested in trying this with cider yeast, is it worth my while? A packet usually costs me £1.64 (thats with the postage) and sometimes that's more than the cost of the rest of the brew!

14. Oct 12, 2012 #34

graysalchemy

graysalchemy

graysalchemy

Yes I now have a freezer full of various different yeasts.

All you have to do is in sterilised tubes put 50% yeast 25% boiled and cooled water and 25% Glycerine and shake it up and put it in the coldest part of the freezer. if you are using a modern frost free freezer then you are probably best making an insulate polystyrene box to insulate them against the freeze thaw cycles you get in these freezers.

:thumb:

15. Oct 13, 2012 #35

mountain

mountain

mountain

in my opinion - if your cleaning and sanitation is up to scratch, it's worth it to harvest yeast. It's a possible vector of infection, so you need to make sure that you're careful about hygiene, but if so, it can save a bit on each batch.

I pretty much always use one strain of yeast for my ales, so it makes sense for me to harvest and re-pitch from that strain; doesn't take up a huge amt of room in the fridge; and as i said, saves a few quid from the overall cost.

16. Dec 18, 2012 #36

ish1349

ish1349

ish1349

Might have to try this when I do my next batch.

17. Dec 19, 2012 #37

Springer

Springer

Springer

Its a dogs life

And I thought it was just me, :? :lol:
    Last time, a practise run I added water, swilled it up and put it into a very tall measuring cylinder 400mm x 75mm, thought that would be ideal. But still didn't get the layers :?
    So what are we after, if we could get it :?
    Looking at the second picture of this post, the beer, maybe a thin second layer or is it a shadow, or all two or three layers, leaving the specked bottom layer :?
    Think I will have a go your way for now G, theres plenty of it, got 3 litres sitting at the bottom of the conical. :D
    S

18. Dec 20, 2012 #38

Stihler

Stihler

Stihler

Speaking of freezing yeast I came across the following site the other day:http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/Homebrew/Freezing Yeast.htm.

I am intrigued by the idea of having a frozen yeast bank.

From old posts in Homebrew Digest it looks like folks have gotten around the freeze-thawing issue of frost-free freezers in a number of ways. Some people place freeze the yeast test tubes in pure alcohol which would super cool them and help mitigate damage during the thawing processes. Others freeze the tubes in a container was water so the tubes are imbedded in ice. Still others place the tubes in small coolers packed with blue ice.

I tend to disagree with the above link with respect to preparing the glycerine/water mixture. The amount of yeast one is using is rather small so the risk of contamination is greater than usual. Therefore, I recommend sterilization rather than sanitization of the tubings containing the glycerine/water mixture. For this, I suggest adding the glycerin/water solution to Pyrex test tubes and then placing the caps on them VERY loosely. The tubes should then be place in a pressure cooker and heated at about 15 psi for 10 minutes or so. Alternatively one could place the tubes in a double boiler and boiled for 20 minutes. Sterilization with the pressure cooker is preferable, however.

I came across a kit that has everything you need to start a frozen yeast bank (http://www.southhillsbrewing.com/yeast-bank?filter_name=yeast bank). However, I'm not sure it is really worth the price. I mean, food grade glycerine is readily available and a minimal amount of the equipment is required. It does have the advantage of having all you need and the glycerine solution is presumably already sterile.

At any rate, it does sound like freezing yeast is a great means of storing yeast long term.

- Scott

19. Dec 20, 2012 #39

evanvine

evanvine

evanvine

Landlord.

Been doing it for 2-3 years without any glycerine etc!
    Does need a starter though.

20. Jan 13, 2013 #40

ish1349

ish1349

ish1349

Never tried yeast harvesting. Guess I will have to give it a go at some point.