Yeast head persists

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have an APA in my FV which I got started a week ago Saturday. I left it for a week intending to dry hop it after fermentation had died down. It came to Friday and I checked inside to find there was still a layer of yeast on top of the brew. I've not seen this before, as usually it clears leaving a little island or two of yeasty bits.

Assuming it was in the last stages of fermenting I stuck my final 10g or so of cascades in to dry hop and went off camping for the weekend.

This is what greeted me when I returned:

a2de8780.jpg

Basically the hops are just sat on top of that layer of yeast :(

Is this persistant yeast head a sign of trouble with the fermentation or "going bad" ? Also I'd like to get the hops involved in the brew rather than just sat on top contributing nothing - I guess it would be ok to sterilise a spoon and poke them down into the brew?

Any advice truly appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

EDIT: I used Safale US-05 (if that's relevant at all).

US05 is notorious for doing just this and also for finishing at very low gravities occasionally :roll:
What was the gravity of the beer when you added the dry hops?
I'd persist, stir the hops back in gently without splashing. The yeast head will subside...when it want to :P

FWIW I was unfortunate enough for this to always happen with US05, I took to crash cooling in the end to get rid of the head so I could rack the beer off...even then it would restart in the cornies on warming :roll: You probably won't have that problem :cool:

jonewer said:
Is it ok to dry hop by just bunging hops on top? Wont they clog the tap?

Not if you're careful :) Also, as they tend to either float or sink to the bottom, they end up either where I'd normally stop bottling or in the trub. That's been my experience anyway.

@Vossy it's around 1010 so probably not a lot left to go, if anything. I've S-04 go mental before now and drop down to 1005 :) I've boiled a spoon and poked them in, all seems ok.

I think I may have bigger problems now though. A small slug plopped in the test jar when I was sampling the gravity! It can only have been up the tap as it's obviousl;y been sealed beyond that point but now of course sanitation is an issue :( I might have to look at poking something up the tap to make sure it's clean enough to dispense into the bottling bucket.

Aren't slugs the worst animals (?) in the world, If you found a use for them, well ££££'s ;)

A small slug plopped in the test jar when I was sampling the gravity! It can only have been up the tap as it's obviousl;y been sealed beyond that point but now of course sanitation is an issue :( I might have to look at poking something up the tap to make sure it's clean enough to dispense into the bottling bucket.
:lol:
@Vossy it's around 1010 so probably not a lot left to go, if anything. I've S-04 go mental before now and drop down to 1005
I would expect US05 to match and more than likely beat S04. US05's a cracking yeast but can leave a beer a bit dry at times (to my taste).

Latest posts

Back