Yeast recycle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chambkan

Reaction score
Hello after a small bit of advice

Tomorrow i will be transfering a brew of beer from the fermenter into a Keg.

Thinking - Friday i am looking at brewing some more beer.

Yeast used in the last batch safale s-04, beer brewed - 5% pale ale, beer to be brewed on Friday 6% stout.

Is it worth propergating the yeast from this batch and if so from which bit?

Thanks

martin

What you could do is simply rack off the first beer to the keg and then pitch the cooled wort of the stout onto the yeast bed. It's something I've wanted to try, mainly because I'm too tight to shell out on several packets of S-05!

You probably have 2 easy choices.
1. do as Paul said and leave your current brew in the FV until you can drop the next brew straight onto the yeast
2. follow the instructions in this guide. You wouldn't need to go all the way with this, if it's just for a few days I'd just sacrifice the last pint of the current brew, give it a good swirl to stir up the sediment and then decant into a sterilised 2l lemonade or milk bottle. Leave it for a couple of hours for the heavier trub to separate from the viable yeast cells then decant off the yeast and beer into a sterilised container (I used a 500ml PET bottle) leaving the **** behind. You could easily split it into 2 at this stage giving you a spare. What's left should be fine in the fridge for a month or 2. A day or 2 before your next brew chuck this into a starter....if your next brew is only on friday it'd probably be fine just to chuck it straight in. Using a starter does give you the reassurance of knowing it smells & looks ok and uninfected before you chuck it into 40 pints of wort.

Latest posts

Back