Yeast starter any help with this.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
I have been readin my favourite book ever, "The alaskan Bootleggers Bible" This book teaches how to make alcohol from anything with anything.

It talks about yeast starters, it says that after you have emptied your FV in to dj's that the light brown crud left in the bottom is basically yeast cultures and if you scrape that up and put it in a high sugar solution it will then start furiously reproducing and withon a day be ready for another FV.

Is this right, I have tried it and sure enough it went nuts in front of the radiator, I have put it in the fridge now where i assume it will lay dormat until I warm it up again, Is this all correct or have I done something wrong, this could save me a fotune on yeast.

A pure sugar solution is not an ideal environment to encourage yeast reproduction . . . . I'd be tempted to use Grape juice instead, with a pinch of yeast nutrient.

While it is not best practice you will get away with it to a certain extent . . . the only issue is that eventually you will end up with a yeast that will only ferment pure sugar and only to a limited extent. Ideally yeast starters should be done in a balanced nutrient rich must/wort

And don't go too strong 1.012 is more than adequate . . . you just need a larger volume

Latest posts

Back