Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daz29

Reaction score
I made a witbier Sunday I added the yeast which never started to work added another pack of yeast and it’s the same then noticed the yeast was out of date. Is it to later to add more yeast

I made a witbier Sunday I added the yeast which never started to work added another pack of yeast and it’s the same then noticed the yeast was out of date. Is it to later to add more yeast
Hello,
This info would help.
How long did you wait to see if the yeast is working? Did you make a starter? What temperature are you fermenting at?

What yeast is it? When you say Sunday, I assume you mean a week ago rather than yesterday? What’s your gravity sitting at compared to SG?

Hello,
This info would help.
How long did you wait to see if the yeast is working? Did you make a starter? What temperature are you fermenting at?
I waited 5 hrs then sprinkled another on top left it over night still not working it’s at room temperature

If you are telling us you started it yesterday (Sun 28th) then the yeasts may be a slow starter. Some yeasts can take 24 hours or more to get going. Even your out of date yeast should have some cells in there that can function. I would leave it a full 24 hours to see how things develop.

If you are telling us you started it yesterday (Sun 28th) then the yeasts may be a slow starter. Some yeasts can take 24 hours or more to get going. Even your out of date yeast should have some cells in there that can function. I would leave it a full 24 hours to see how things develop.
Okay I have used this yeast before and it started to work in 3 hrs thanks

I agree with @terrym . If the yeast was out of date, it would have had less viable cells, so may take longer than usual to get going. I would wait a full 24 hours before starting to worry.
Okay thanks if it doesn’t start to work buy some more will the beer still be okay

How out of date was it? Were the packets new, unopened packets?
Packs was new and brought in lockdown and after I added yeast and it never started to work I checked packet and see it was out of date
image.jpg

Did you rehydrate it or anything first? If there’s 2 packs of out of date yeast it will be fine.

If sprinkled dry they need to both rehydrate and acclimatise themselves to the wort. They don’t start working instantaneously. I’ve had some dried yeasts take 2 days or longer, and they were rehydrated first.

Did you rehydrate it or anything first? If there’s 2 packs of out of date yeast it will be fine.

If sprinkled dry they need to both rehydrate and acclimatise themselves to the wort. They don’t start working instantaneously. I’ve had some dried yeasts take 2 days or longer, and they were rehydrated first.
Okay I’ve used this yeast before and it’s started working after 3 hrs that’s what I can’t work out worried incase beer goes off that’s all and our shop is closed today until tomorrow

Packs was new and brought in lockdown and after I added yeast and it never started to work I checked packet and see it was out of date View attachment 28404
That yeast should be absolutely fine. A few months is nothing to dried yeast. If it's not fermenting away nicely by tomorrow morning, I should get some new ones and repitch. Can't think why it shouldn't be working.

Okay I’ve used this yeast before and it’s started working after 3 hrs that’s what I can’t work out worried incase beer goes off that’s all and our shop is closed today until tomorrow
As long as your lid is on and the yeast is in there there’s very little chance of your beer “going off”. Sugar is a preservative.

That yeast should be absolutely fine. A few months is nothing to dried yeast. If it's not fermenting away nicely by tomorrow morning, I should get some new ones and repitch. Can't think why it shouldn't be working.
Okay thanks for your help

I think you need to leave it alone for another day before you consider doing anything else. I've had the occasional yeast that has taken 3 days to show any visible sign of fermentation, and every time you open the lid to mess about with it you're increasing contamination risk. I pitch the yeast, close the lid, and don't even think about reopening it for at least a week and I have never had a brew which didn't ferment.

I think you need to leave it alone for another day before you consider doing anything else. I've had the occasional yeast that has taken 3 days to show any visible sign of fermentation, and every time you open the lid to mess about with it you're increasing contamination risk. I pitch the yeast, close the lid, and don't even think about reopening it for at least a week and I have never had a brew which didn't ferment.
Okay nice to here thanks for that

Latest posts

Back