Yeasts - funny critters! Yeasts - funny critters! Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale-in-France

Reaction score
Not really a question - although it does lead to one.

Have been double batching a bit recently, putting new batch onto the sludge at the bottom of the previous batch in order to save on yeast costs (and cos I forgot to do a starter batch). I've racked the first batch into a secondary to ferment out and poured cooled wort straight onto cake.

Weird thing is that both times the second batch has been finished before the first. I guess all the active yeast from the first batch reaklly goes to work on the second one so it goes quicker, but am surprised that the first batch is still bubbling away at 1020 while an almost identical batch brewed a week later is down at about 1012.

Which leads to the question: is it better to have a really fast ferment, or a slow one? Any difference in flavour?

Ale-in-France said:
Not really a question - although it does lead to one.

Have been double batching a bit recently, putting new batch onto the sludge at the bottom of the previous batch in order to save on yeast costs (and cos I forgot to do a starter batch). I've racked the first batch into a secondary to ferment out and poured cooled wort straight onto cake.

Weird thing is that both times the second batch has been finished before the first. I guess all the active yeast from the first batch reaklly goes to work on the second one so it goes quicker, but am surprised that the first batch is still bubbling away at 1020 while an almost identical batch brewed a week later is down at about 1012.

Which leads to the question: is it better to have a really fast ferment, or a slow one? Any difference in flavour?

There are more yeast cells in the second batch than the first, so a quicker ferment

More viable yeasties left in the sludge =less lag time compared to dried yeast I have used. I have done 2 IPA's using US05 dried in the first got to final gravity in 6days second batch pitched on to the yeast cake took 4 days.. and I suspect less as I didnt check gravity untill then :shock: . Both were temp controlled to 19-20c with similar OG's.

D

Silly I know, but I'm now picturing millions of yeasties lurking like pyrannas then coming out to gorge on fresh wort.

Back