You know you have a hop problem when...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
...You run though your shopping basket before ordering and see you've got 17x 100g packets of hops in there. And you know you've still got half a dozen packets in the freezer at home.

As I already take up half the freezer with stored rolls of film from my other hobby (photography), I anticipate there may be some words exchanged with my girlfriend.:-?

Still she likes the beer I make and at least I'm going for almost entirely pellet hops to minimise on space needed.

Oh, and did I mention I'm thinking about having a go at growing them too next year.:grin:

Better get brewing!

At the last count I had 42 packs of hops , some of them 500g packs.

Just used up 2 x 100g packs centennial in a brown ale and planning to use all NZ hops - green bullit, Rakau,Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and NZ cascade- in a NZ pale ale (33 litres) so that will bring the total down a bit!

I keep promising myself not to buy any more then I read (and almost smell) the description and have to buy some.

At the last count I had 42 packs of hops , some of them 500g packs.

Just used up 2 x 100g packs centennial in a brown ale and planning to use all NZ hops - green bullit, Rakau,Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and NZ cascade- in a NZ pale ale (33 litres) so that will bring the total down a bit!

I keep promising myself not to buy any more then I read (and almost smell) the description and have to buy some.
That really is quite an insane amount of hops to have in the freezer!
My last beer (a session rye IPA) used 325g of hops, which is the most i've ever used by about 100g. That's for 25L in the fermentor.

I went with Chinook to bitter and then 150g combined of Centennial/Citra/El Dorado for late boil and hop stand and another 150g to dry hop.

I've decided that I like pellet hops as you don't lose too much beer when you go crazy with the hops.

I'm the opposite, quite happy to just amend recipes to use up what I've got, so all my European beers have had Perle in them, British ones have been Fuggles/Goldings and US ones Amarillo/cascade/centennial.

Best bit is when every so often you look in the cupboard and there's enough leftovers for a free brew :)

Only superfluous hops at the moment are some simcoe and summit, read off the back of a bottle I was trying to clone and it turns out they no longer used them when I contacted the brewery!

My Wife says I am obessed with hops..

I decided to "challenger" and told her I think she is from another "galaxy" and said there must be "summit" wrong with her, the conversation soon began to "cascasde" and we hadn't "progressed" at all.. she then used my head as a "Target".

Still... trying to keep my "chinook"...

As far as I am concerned I did "Fuggle" wrong

I decided to "challenger" and told her I think she is from another "galaxy" and said there must be "summit" wrong with her, the conversation soon began to "cascasde" and we hadn't "progressed" at all.. she then used my head as a "Target".

Hahahahahaha - great stuff...!:lol:

The new latin name for hops is now Humorous lupulus!

...daughters name...you didn't call her fish did you? Cruel man! Names...my dad was a big Clint Eastwood fan back in the day...kids can be awful...I soon learnt to look after myself! If I had a quid every time the cowboy or horse got mentioned...

Cheers

Clint

YeeeHaaaaar!

12kg! I thought I had issues:

14064118_10154475889388970_1856374910098045181_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back