Young Newbie from the midlands!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles22

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading this forum for the past few weeks, it has been very insightful! I'll tell you a bit about me first. I'm an 18 year old student, soon to be off to university. For a few years i've dreamt of making my own cider as one of my neighbours has a large apple orchard and every autumn i'm on the receiving end of hundreds of apples, sure are tasty but i can't eat them quick enough before they're gone off and ready for the compost heap. My nan used to be a keen homebrewer herself, making everything from cider to sloe gin. Around 3 weeks ago i was looking at university funds, costs etc, and dreading how i would pay for it all, when my nan suggested making my own alcohol, it caught my interest and she donated some of her old brewing equipment to help me out. I began with a lot of research online, recipes, techniques, equipment, enzymes, yeasts etc. I've never done things by half, if i was going to make my own drinks then they had to be nice, and not make me blind, or atleast until the nights over :party:

After the research i went out and brought a nice big 6 gallon FV, some airlocks, youngs cider yeast, sterilising powder, pectolase etc etc, practically everything i needed, and began an easy first batch of Turbo Cider. A few days into fermentation i started reading more and more into different recipes and got a bit impatient, so began a small 2 gallon batch of Cheeky Vimto. And then just yesterday i brought 2 5 litre water bottles and began a gallon Fiery Ginger Beer and a gallon of Alcoholic Lemonade. I might aswell test all different brews to see whats easy, and which i like the most so i'm ready for when i get to uni!

I bottled the Turbo Cider on Monday, I used 2 litre PET bottles. I decided to do a bit of experimenting with dryness and what sugar to use to carbonate. I had 4 bottles of each dry, medium and sweet, using Morrisons sweetener to back sweeten. And to carbonate each bottle i varied the sugar used, so i've used castor, brown, golden syrup and honey. So i should end up with 12 different types of cider. I'm hoping to find out which carbonates the best and gives the best flavour. The Cheeky Vimto will be getting bottled on Monday, from a cheeky taste whilst checking the S.G a few days ago it is delicious! The Ginger Beer is blooping away nicely, about 1 bloop a second! The Lemonade is a fair bit slower, about 1 bloop every 30 seconds, but i put that down to the acidity, hopefully it'll speed up a bit.

My future plans are to try Wurzel's Orange Wine as soon as the ginger beer has finished, which at its current rate should be next week :D A quick question about that, has anybody tried a sparkling wurzel?

I've got all my recipes written down and recorded. I also priced each drink up, ginger beer turns out the cheapest, at around 45p a litre! :drink:

I'd like to thank everybody for contributing so much to this forum, it has been a goldmine of help! :clap:

Dan

Welcome to the forums, Dan.

Sounds like you've really done your homework and record keeping too. If you show this much dedication at Uni, you're going to have a great time and get a great degree. :thumb:

Thanks :thumb: I'm really looking forward to it. It should be interesting to see what other students think about brewing my own drinks! :hmm: Should save a little bit of money anyway :)

Looks like management material to me lads :thumb:

Welcome Biggles seems like you know what your doing...bet you'll have lots of friends at uni :rofl:

Thank your Nan for us...bless her :clap:

:cool: You`re gonna be a popular lad at uni :cool: good luck with it - wish i`d start brewing at 18 i could buy a boat with the the money i would of saved :lol:

I started in Uni too (although I was a couple of years older than you). Had a few ons and offs, but never looked back. Good luck in brewing. :thumb:

Thanks for all the replies :D I sure have caught the bug, spent a long long time doing some research and gathering recipes, seeing what was the norm and what things people experimented with. For the time being i just want to get a good grounding and move on from there once i've got the basics mastered. I'm off to do an engineering degree, so who knows, I might end up making my own nice shiny setup :hmm:

Has anybody got any other brews they recommend to try out? I've got an open mind to all ideas, not too picky what i drink, just want to experiment a bit and widen my horizons :)

Nice to meet you biggles!

I once ate a pile of garlic bread when I was in halls at uni... then got plastered on homebrew. Threw up in the middle of the night and blocked the sink in the room with garlic puke. Not pleasant, hangover made 100x worse by the smell in the morning! That was many years ago though and I don't do things like that any longer.

much.

Chocks away!
:cheers:

I'm really looking forward to it. I'll get all my kit sorted in time so i dont have to go searching for a LHBS too soon when i'm there, and have a fair few gallons ready to drink in fresher's week :drink:

Welcome mate!
I too am at Uni, have just finished my first year. Already, rumours of my homebrew have accelerated my popularity hugely! Trust me, any proficiency with drinks making does wonders for the social life ;)

Yesterday I bottled my Ginger beer and Cheeky vimto, both very tasty already, hopefully even nicer after clearing & carbonating :D my original turbo cider is pretty much ready to drink, the first bottle I opened wasn't as fizzy as I hoped, but hoping that's just a dud and the others are much fizzier :)

My alcoholic lemonade is bubbling along well, should be bottling sometime this weekend. I also started an alcoholic coca cola yesterday, made from actual coca cola. It could be interesting, only 1 gallon but we'll wait and see :D

I even got my older brother interested and he's gone out and bought all the kit to start brewing his own :)

biggles22 said:
I even got my older brother interested and he's gone out and bought all the kit to start brewing his own
Has he signed up to the Forum yet? :whistle:

biggles22 said:
I also started an alcoholic coca cola yesterday, made from actual coca cola. It could be interesting, only 1 gallon but we'll wait and see :D

That thought went threw my head a few weeks ago, then as per i forgot about it! You must let us know how that goes!! How did u go about making that one?? :geek:

Don't worry ericstd, I'll have my brother joined up in no time ;)

Turbotez, the coca cola was quite simple. I wanted it to remain quite coca-cola-ry so use 4 litres of original coca cola, boiled to flatten it and then dissolved 300g of sugar in, maybe a bit much as OG was 1050 and it'll probably go to 990, so 8%-ish. I used cooled boiled water to top up. I put a tsp of glycerine and a tsp of yeast nutrient in because of the acidity. I thought about pectolase but I can't imagine it's going to clear much anyway, it is coke after all! Once it cooled I pitched the yeast, which was Youngs GP wine yeast and off it went, fizzing and bubbling away :)

Today I started a blueberry and orange Wurzel, a bit on the wild side of Wurzels but it'll be fun to try making a wine nonetheless :D and I helped my brother start his two first gallons, which are (don't crucify me for the wildness!) a gallon of pineapple juice/apple juice and a gallon of blueberry juice/apple juice. He used 4 litres of the primary juice and topped up with apple juice, and the usual glycerine etc. It's going to be an interesting month with all these concoctions bubbling away, but where would we be without experimenting! 

Latest posts

Back