Youngs American IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Kit Brewing Discussion.' started by howyoubrewin, Apr 2, 2014.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jul 17, 2019 #1041

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Just brewed this and it's had 2 weeks in the bottle conditioning. Just tried a sneaky bottle and compared it to a Brewdog Punk IPA side by side. It's EXACTLY the same! Wow, very impressed with this kit.

2. Jul 18, 2019 #1042

Baggins

Baggins

Baggins

This is my favourite kit so far. I only recently started drinking modern heavily hopped beer (that can taste a lot like grapefruit juice..) having been firmly committed to brown, warm and flatish ales. I've made 10 or more kits and about 6 small scale all grains. I wanted a couple of quick kit beers to top up stock levels and see me through a summer brewing break. I picked this as one of two kits based on reviews on HBF. I will definitely make this again soon. Deliciously freshing.

pms67 and DavieC like this.
  3. Jul 19, 2019 #1043

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

Guys I've held off bottling my AIPA this week, its 1.005 so good for it but smells rather cider like. Very sweet smell. Should I carry on with bottling tonight or hold off longer?

It's on day 17 and 6 days since adding hops. Should it smell sweet like this?! No bubbles for over a week now that I've seen.

pms67 likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2019 #1044

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

20190719_134243.jpg

pms67 likes this.
  5. Jul 19, 2019 #1045

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

I would be led by the gravity rather than any smells. Beers can often smell slightly odd halfway through the process.

Get it bottled!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. Jul 19, 2019 #1046

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Agreed. Get it in the bottles with that priming sugar.

7. Jul 20, 2019 #1047

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

All done. Cheers guys 20190719_191938.jpg

Kenboy, DadsShed, Applesnmore and 2 others like this.
  8. Jul 20, 2019 #1048

DadsShed

DadsShed

DadsShed

Bottled my first go at the AIPA mid June, just as the cold week hit only to send the Yeast to sleep and not carbonate fully. Thanks to this forum turned each bottle over a few times, put the crates back in the warm for two weeks and now enjoying a fully carbed Glass.
    acheers. Cheers all.

9. Jul 21, 2019 #1049

andy walmsley

andy walmsley

andy walmsley

Hello All, Newbie here! I did brew beer kits 35 years or so ago, and surprisingly didn't continue brewing!
    I have recently done about 9 various kits, and I can say Youngs Red India Ale is far better than any others.....so far!
    Love reading the comments/ advise/beer lore everyone. keep it up!

Cheers all

Andy

10. Jul 30, 2019 #1050

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

Tried my first bottle last night. 10 days after bottling. I cant say its blown me away but it definitely isnt a bad tasting beer, just dont think it tastes of much?? Still a little cloudy, will this settle further in the bottle or does that need to happen prior to bottling?
    It's certainly a strong drink, just expected more from the hops plus the added citra I used.
    Will try another in a week before I smash through the lot

11. Jul 30, 2019 #1051

Markk

Markk

Markk

I bottled mine on 8th June. Had a bottle last night and it was very nice and perfectly clear. You might want to get someone to hide them somewhere and then tell you where they are next month :)

Kenboy likes this.
  12. Jul 30, 2019 #1052

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

I think you really need to be more patient than that. If you only bottled 10 days ago, then it may not even have finished secondary fermentation yet, let alone conditioned!

Once I bottle, I will give it two weeks in the warm and then move to the cold where I'll leave it for as long as I can, but definitely 3/4 weeks before I try it.

Has it carbonated? If so, then move it to a cold/cool place and leave it alone - it should clear. If it hasn't carbonated, then leave it in a warm place for another week or so before moving to the cold.

13. Jul 30, 2019 #1053

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

I found mine VERY hoppy and I only used the supplied hops. Just chucked them in and didn't use a hop bag. Hopefully the hop taste will fade over time. Otherwise a very nice brew.

14. Jul 31, 2019 #1054

Baggins

Baggins

Baggins

I tried it every week or so after a few weeks carbonating. I guess bottled a couple of months ago. The citrus scent / flavour has eased off. I chucked hops in without hop bag. Some hop fragments made it through the bottler into the bottles. Quite clear now, good carbonation and fair head retention.

15. Aug 3, 2019 #1055

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am being impatient, but want to try it along the way to understand the changes.

It's been sat at 21/22 degrees for the whole time, but just cracked another and no it doesn't seem to have carbonated. Could I have cocked this up adding beer to syrup?

The bottles have been stored in my utility that has no windows and temp sits pretty steady, anything other than a fridge that I can use to store them cooler? Where do you guys store yours to cold condition?

16. Aug 6, 2019 #1056

DadsShed

DadsShed

DadsShed

Maybe we had a similar problem with the yeast taking an early night off. Try waking it up again by turning your bottles over a couple of times and sticking them back in the warm for a couple of weeks. Worked a treat with mine.
    As to where I condition. I have a small pantry under the stairs with the boiler in and a window so keeps a nice steady 22 degree's during the day, if not slightly higher in this weather. Then I move them to the dark cool understairs cupboard. Worth a try, as GhostShip said, patience is the key, something I'm learning more as I do this.
    athumb..

17. Aug 14, 2019 #1057

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

SteveHatton

Another couple of wseks in the warm then fridge for 48 hours and I still can't work out if I did good for a first time or not?! Not much head, and a strangely sweet taste, but quite drinkable when it starts flowing.

Attached Files:

DadsShed likes this.
  18. Aug 19, 2019 #1058

rhys37429

rhys37429

rhys37429

I'm looking for some guidance on this kit..
    I brew to 15 L and don't use the brewing sugar, I'm assuming the ABV will be sky high. has anyone done this?

19. Aug 21, 2019 #1059

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

I would use the sugar on this one and follow instructions,I don’t think it takes anything away from this kit

20. Aug 21, 2019 #1060

Markk

Markk

Markk

I just checked my brew notes. I made this kit following the instructions on 25 May, bottled on the 14 June. Came in at 6.6% abv. Had a bottle tonight. Lovely pint