Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can safely say my brew didnt work at all..

Its been in the garage 5 weeks now and the taste is truly awful.
It actually looks great... crystal clear when poured but the taste is terrible, i can only presume something went wrong when it took 5 days or so to start fermenting

Not to worry.. i will not be defeated im going to purchase another kit and try again.... anyone recommend a nice Ale kit to try? Nothing too hop crazy? I was thinging the festival Golden Summer ale, it seems to get good reviews>?

Hi all,

First time post for me. I have a question for you if I may. I have been brewing this kit as my second ever brew, it seems like one for the more experienced homebrewer with more equipment but I went for it anyway.

The problem started after dry hopping. As per the instructions I just threw them in the FV and left for 3 days. When bottling using my tap and bottling wand lots of the Hop Sludge ended up in each bottle. It looks like a thin layer of green of the bottom, along with the white yeast stuff.

So my question is will this effect taste? Will it taste grassy or bitter? Will they gush? They firmed very quick compared to the Coopers Lager that came with my equipment. I can't find any conclusive answers anywhere on the web.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

It shouldnt affect flavour significantly, especially as you say it's a thin layer. You may have difficulty keeping it out of the glass when you pour, just be ultra careful.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear :D

I don't mind if it gets into the glass too much, as long as it doesn't affect taste. I will chill it for a few weeks before drinking to hopefully harden the sludge at the bottom of the bottle.

Next time I may have to look at getting a second bucket to move it to, or putting the hops in a bag but I've read that means you don't get as much hop aroma.

I'm two pints into my Young's American IPA now and it is nectar. Lovely, hoppy taste, a little bit cloudy (although its clearing up the longer I keep it in the shed). Its been a longer process than I thought but I think that's down to the PF at around 17/18°. I think I will do the next one with a heater belt to see if I can speed it up a bit. I'm really chuffed with this kit, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would taste this good.

Early finish today so just been out to the garage to try a couple of these,only been in the bottle about 3 1/2 weeks and it tastes fantastic.Crystal clear with really nice head, great fresh hoppy taste and it smells great - very pleased with this. I didn't measure the ABV on this but I've got a nice buzz going after just a couple.
Gonna try a couple more then I'm out later to see what slops are being served up at the local and bore everyone by telling them that it's not as good as mine .
Best. Hobby. Ever

Cheers all :drink:

Finished my barrel of Young's American IPA and I have to say how pleased I am with it. First couple of pints were a bit hazy but after that, perfect. It had an abv of 6.3% which had the effect of tucking me up good and proper. This was my first brew so I hope I haven't just fluked it.
Got 40 pints of Stout and 40 pints of Bulldog Four Fingered Jack on the go now. I love it.

Mine has now finished at 1006 and will bottle tomorrow, so I think it's turned out at a lively 7.3%ish. Obviously I drank the sample (last night!), and it tastes really strongly of alcohol. It never got above 20c whenever I checked it, but I wrapped the FV in bubble wrap to try and maintain temp, so only checked a couple of times. Anyone else get this? Will this fade as it matures?

I didn't notice that strong alcohol taste even though mine was at 6.3%. I brewed at a slightly lower temp of 18°C so don't know if that makes a difference. It was a slow brew - three weeks in the PF and about the same in the barrel.

Mine has now finished at 1006 and will bottle tomorrow, so I think it's turned out at a lively 7.3%ish. Obviously I drank the sample (last night!), and it tastes really strongly of alcohol. It never got above 20c whenever I checked it, but I wrapped the FV in bubble wrap to try and maintain temp, so only checked a couple of times. Anyone else get this? Will this fade as it matures?

I know this sounds a bit off from what you might be thinking but you don't think its perhaps the sharpness from the dry hop that could be causing this?

Dry hopping can be in your face a little before it matures.

No, I don't think it's the hops. It's definitely an alcohol aftertaste, like when you have a strong spirit/mixer.
I'm not too worried yet as i've not even bottled it yet. Fingers crossed.

Mine finished about 6.7 and I didn't get the strong alcohol taste but the hop flavour was far stronger than any other kit I've done, hopefully this is all it will be as it makes a fantastic pint. Did you put the full amount of hops in?

Edit. looks like we posted at the same time

You guys might be right then, just doesn't taste too hoppy?
And tasted a bit that way before I put the hops in. Yeah, put the full 100g in, the hoppier, the better!

Mine has been in the bottle around 6 weeks now and tastes amazing. Very similar to Brewdog's Punk IPA and Laguintas.

The hops and yeast sediment that made it into each bottle thankfully didn't cause any problems, apart from making it a bit cloudy, but I don't mind too much about that. It seems to improve the taste when it manages to make it into the glass :tongue:

Currently got the Youngs American Pale Ale on the go so we'll see how it compares.

Mine has been in the bottle around 6 weeks now and tastes amazing. Very similar to Brewdog's Punk IPA and Laguintas.

The hops and yeast sediment that made it into each bottle thankfully didn't cause any problems, apart from making it a bit cloudy, but I don't mind too much about that. It seems to improve the taste when it manages to make it into the glass :tongue:

Currently got the Youngs American Pale Ale on the go so we'll see how it compares.

I thought it was very similair to Punk IPA but I think I was the only one,cracking pint either way :cheers:

I'm astonished that my Youngs American IPA is still bubbling away after 3 and a half weeks in the FV. No sign of it slowing down at all!

Mine finished about 6.7 and I didn't get the strong alcohol taste but the hop flavour was far stronger than any other kit I've done, hopefully this is all it will be as it makes a fantastic pint. Did you put the full amount of hops in?

Edit. looks like we posted at the same time

I know this sounds a bit off from what you might be thinking but you don't think its perhaps the sharpness from the dry hop that could be causing this?

Dry hopping can be in your face a little before it matures.

I think I was talking rubbish, thanks chaps. Sampled a bottle last night, has cleared perfectly and tastes great! Needs another week to carbonate properly, although I am going to attempt to leave them alone for 3/4 weeks anyway!

Latest posts

Back