Youngs taps.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1228.JPG

Has anyone found an easy way to take these taps apart?

As in get the twisty tap bit out..? Put a cloth on the edge of your kitchen worktop,put the tap spout on the cloth and overhang the rest of it...push the rest of it slowly down...the tap will pop free of the housing.
I couldn't clean mine properly and risked one doing this...it's been fine. They just pop back together.

That's interesting, but I've never dismantled a tap. I usually leave it in situ and give it a good seeing to from both ends with a toothbrush before swooshing the FV round with a couple of inches depth of dilute bleach.

I took one apart and it leaked when I put it back into service.
So thereafter when I used them on my PBs I just allowed a good soak from the PB inside with VWP solution, and good squirt of Starsan on the outside and never even bothered to remove them from the PB for fear of the gasket leaking when I put the tap back. And they were fine.

Mine too were fine but I had some black nasty stuff I could see in the twisty bit that had been there over a couple of brews but didn't seem to bother anything except me ..so I decided to try clearing it...

As in get the twisty tap bit out..? Put a cloth on the edge of your kitchen worktop,put the tap spout on the cloth and overhang the rest of it...push the rest of it slowly down...the tap will pop free of the housing.
I couldn't clean mine properly and risked one doing this...it's been fine. They just pop back together.
Thanks Clint, I'll try that. Sometimes there is brown staining inside which I thought would be better removed than not. Some taps leak, most don't, and I've never been able to find out why.

Back