Your input is fantastic !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.Matt.

Reaction score
Hello brewers!!
I've been using information, advice , input, insights etc, from this forum for several years. You folks have always had ALL the answers I've ever needed!! šŸ‘ Thousands of successful pints later.... I've joined!
Thanks for help!!

NIce one .Matt, and welcome to the party. What sort of stuff have you been brewing and what have you got planned for your next one?

I tend to do mostly IPA kits as they seem to enjoy experimentation when it comes to hops!! šŸ‘. Milk stouts are popular with my West Indian chums!.... I do a fair amount of bitters too. I currently have a heavily hopped Wherry conditioning in my workshop, a Youngs Barley Wine 4 days in f/v and also a Dark Fruit cider 4 days into fermentation!! šŸ‘.

I tend to do mostly IPA kits as they seem to enjoy experimentation when it comes to hops!! šŸ‘. Milk stouts are popular with my West Indian chums!.... I do a fair amount of bitters too. I currently have a heavily hopped Wherry conditioning in my workshop, a Youngs Barley Wine 4 days in f/v and also a Dark Fruit cider 4 days into fermentation!! šŸ‘.
I recently started swapping out my older plastic buckets/fv, for stainless steel ones... Hopefully over the next few months, I can get a stainless steel mash tun and have a go at creating my own wort!?

NIce one .Matt, and welcome to the party. What sort of stuff have you been brewing and what have you got planned for your next one?
I mostly do IPA kits and lots of experiments with different hops. I also do the odd milk stout as these go down really well with a few of my west Indian friends!.. Currently got a heavily hopped Wherry conditioning, a Dark Fruit cider in fermentation and a Youngs Barley wine kit also fermenting. Mmmmmm

I recently started swapping out my older plastic buckets/fv, for stainless steel ones... Hopefully over the next few months, I can get a stainless steel mash tun and have a go at creating my own wort!?
No need to spend lots of money of shiny stainless steel just to have a go at allgrain beers. After decades of brewing, I've got all the stainless steel I could wish for, but, more often than not, I mash in a 20 litre insulated picnic box, strain through a bag held in the perforated section of a steamer with a 15 litre base section (we call this thing a couscousiĆØre 30 cm) and boil on the cooker. This comfortably makes a 12 litre batch or you can brew overtrength and then dilute the wort. Most of my batches are 20 litres using this method. You should be able to kit yourself out for about Ā£100. Remember, expensive kit doesn't produce better beer in spite of what those who want your money may tell you.

The cheapy asda kettle used to come apart (prolly still does) to reveal all the parts you needed to make an electric brew bucket. I know loads of people that did biab with them.. I bet they made truck loads of beer.

I recently started swapping out my older plastic buckets/fv, for stainless steel ones... Hopefully over the next few months, I can get a stainless steel mash tun and have a go at creating my own wort
No need to spend lots of money of shiny stainless steel just to have a go at allgrain beers. After decades of brewing, I've got all the stainless steel I could wish for, but, more often than not, I mash in a 20 litre insulated picnic box, strain through a bag held in the perforated section of a steamer with a 15 litre base section (we call this thing a couscousiĆØre 30 cm) and boil on the cooker. This comfortably makes a 12 litre batch or you can brew overtrength and then dilute the wort. Most of my batches are 20 litres using this method. You should be able to kit yourself out for about Ā£100. Remember, expensive kit doesn't produce better beer in spite of what those who want your money may tell you.
Again... Straight in there!! šŸ‘ Great advice however, I have no intention of spending lots of money and I'm aware that 'all that glitters, is not gold. The plastic buckets don't do it for the wife! šŸ˜‚
How often have you replaced your Picnic box? If at all. I had assumed that they may deteriorate over time?

Welcome Matt.

Don't let the stainless stop you. Peeps have been mashing in food grade plastic for years. I think you are more than ready for all grain.
Thanks MashBag.
I'm keen to try all grain... It will give me so much more scope.

How often have you replaced your Picnic box? If at all. I had assumed that they may deteriorate over time?
I used a full sized one for years, if not decades and then came across a 20 litres one which fit my purpose perfectly. I'd expect both to last at least twenty years. The smaller one is a bit cheap and not as well insulated as some of the others. I chuck a couple of towels on top and Bob's your aunty Mildred.

Welcome Matt. I agree with everything said above, I bought a cheap and cheerful peco boiler to see if I liked all grain and used it for many years, I think I paid around Ā£100 for the boiler, bag, chiller and an ingredient kit for my first batch. I have only recently bought a Brewzilla to replace it because I wanted more control over mesh temp etc (my peco was the really basic one with no temp control) but I made many good beers in that cheap and cheerful plastic bucket šŸ»

Back