Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the brewing front I handed everything over to SWMBO on 7th April. As far as I am aware:
  1. "There was a hissing sound when I unscrewed the jubilee clip; but it has stopped now." It will have stopped because the CO2 bottle is empty so "Bye bye!" to 20 litres of bitter in 2 x 10 litre growlers. BTW, the tubing has quick release connections and there is never any need to undo a jubilee clip.
  2. "I tried to pull you a pint off the big white keg you have. It started 'glugging' so I left it." "Bye bye!" to about 15 litres of Lager in the KK Top Tap PB. With air running back into it I've given up.
  3. There is 23 litres of Lager still "Cold Crashing" in the Brew Fridge. It's been there since I dropped the temperature down to 10*C on 31st March (shortly before my periprosthetic fracture) so I presume that by now it is ruined!

My sympathies with the breaks, it can't be fun - but if you're going to do it, I guess you might as well do it when you can't get out and about anyway!

I think you're being way too pessimistic on the beer though - a few weeks at 10°C sounds like perfect lagering conditions to me. And even with the others, I'd check them out before binning them.

I think you're being way too pessimistic on the beer though - a few weeks at 10°C sounds like perfect lagering conditions to me. And even with the others, I'd check them out before binning them.

When I can get out there, I will have a taste before any "binning" takes place ...athumb..

... because I'm not known for throwing money around, especially down the drain! :mad:

I've got a Wilco Keg ready to receive it if it's okay and I've even got a new bottle of CO2 ready to rock and roll if the stuff in the Growlers can salvaged!

Most of my brewing is on a "Here's hoping!" basis so I don't think this will be any different.

BTW, No.1 son is here to 'help out' and yesterday his attempt to use a ratchet spanner resulted in much grinding of teeth so it may be some time before I get up into the shed!

To not stray too far from the OP, I can only hope that our glorious leader's exhortations to "forget about the decisions made by government advisors and move on" is ignored!

I have often complained that the British Public have very short memories but in this case I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in having suffered under the current "lockdown" regime and believe that we should never forgive or forget the insult that has been heaped upon us.

Mr. Cummins said that he only did what he did in order to "Do the best for his family." Boris and other senior members of the Government have reiterated this as if it was a justifiable reason, but none of them bothered to add on the true end to the remark, which should have been "... and ballocks to the rest of the people in the UK!"

Sorry but I'm back again - and still moaning about this so called government!

Today, Matt Hancock (who defended Cummins' poor decision making and told us all to "Move on!") is now telling us that WE have a "Civic Duty" to help the new Test, Trace and Track System work!

Apparently, Tory Advisors don't have any "Civic Duty" to stay within the spirit of the law but suddenly us peasants do have a "Civic Duty" to help the government!

If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable because the one law for "Us" and another law for "Them" has never been more apparent in the UK.

It is over two months ago since I posted the OP and there hasn't been any improvement, so we can expect no apology, no resignation and no sacking from anyone who is part of the "Us" ...

... unless they are forced to do so by people who have memories and refuse to "move on"! athumb..

When I can get out there, I will have a taste before any "binning" takes place ...athumb..

... because I'm not known for throwing money around, especially down the drain! :mad:

I've got a Wilco Keg ready to receive it if it's okay and I've even got a new bottle of CO2 ready to rock and roll if the stuff in the Growlers can salvaged!

Most of my brewing is on a "Here's hoping!" basis so I don't think this will be any different.

BTW, No.1 son is here to 'help out' and yesterday his attempt to use a ratchet spanner resulted in much grinding of teeth so it may be some time before I get up into the shed!

To not stray too far from the OP, I can only hope that our glorious leader's exhortations to "forget about the decisions made by government advisors and move on" is ignored!

I have often complained that the British Public have very short memories but in this case I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in having suffered under the current "lockdown" regime and believe that we should never forgive or forget the insult that has been heaped upon us.

Mr. Cummins said that he only did what he did in order to "Do the best for his family." Boris and other senior members of the Government have reiterated this as if it was a justifiable reason, but none of them bothered to add on the true end to the remark, which should have been "... and ballocks to the rest of the people in the UK!"

It's pretty evident you dont need told, but for the benefit of others it's worth just focusing on the last bit as further evidence that the members and leaders of the Conservative party do not consider the families of most of the UK public to be on the same plane as their own. We will never get a better illustration of this than the Cummings debacle and the subsequent MPs lining up to make an **** of themselves defending him.

For the working class voters who have swung towards Tory (probably) for reasons we shouldnt get into here, this should be a huge reality check about what I tell anyone who will listen.....

For 98% of British voters, your interests and those of the likes of Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees Mogg and Michael Gove will never, ever align. They feel nothing but visceral disdain for you.

For 98% of British voters, your interests and those of the likes of Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees Mogg and Michael Gove will never, ever align. They feel nothing but visceral disdain for you.
When did they tell you what they feel, are you in close contact with them?

Fortunately it oozes out of them on regular occasions. In the case of Matt Hancock for example it manifests itself as a clamminess, and the look of a man who has absolutely no idea what he is doing

I think it's self-evident.

Thats the word, "think"a debate should be based on fact not supposition.

Fortunately it oozes out of them on regular occasions. In the case of Matt Hancock for example it manifests itself as a clamminess, and the look of a man who has absolutely no idea what he is doing
Again debating on what your thoughts are, not fact.

Thats the word, "think"a debate should be based on fact not supposition.

Again debating on what your thoughts are, not fact.
And we simply cannot have a discussion on that basis. It wouldnt be right....

Not everything can conveniently be presented with links to fact checked, indisputable evidence. If you do not think there is enough evidence out there to arrive at the conclusion that most if not all members of the current govt feel disdain towards the general public then you either do not want to see it, or you feel the same way which vindicates their actions and words in your eyes.

Whichever one it is, it's absolutely your right. As it is mine to proceed on the basis that a government who has overseen a catastrophically bad response to a virus, lying and politicising their way blindly through it probably doesnt hold the likes of me in the highest regard.

Thankfully where I live the Tories are absolutely radioactive and I will hopefully never have to take this up with an elected representative.

And we simply cannot have a discussion on that basis. It wouldnt be right....
Its impossible to have a debate on what you believe to something to be, get some facts together then debate.
I could just as equally say I believe the labour party would have made a right pigs ear of handling the covid 19, far worse than the Tories.

Its impossible to have a debate on what you believe to something to be, get some facts together then debate.
I could just as equally say I believe the labour party would have made a right pigs ear of handling the covid 19, far worse than the Tories.
Of course you could. If you considered it to be a debate worth having you would get no shortage of folk on either side wanting to take part.... And there wouldnt be a fact to be seen.

The entirety of politics and what way you cast your vote is about opinion not fact. It's about what you think is best for you, what you think is best for the country and the balance you personally choose to strike between the two.

Let me give you a fact. I would pay less tax under a Tory govt in Holyrood.

Now let me give you an opinion. I think its morally wrong to vote Tory.

The two things along with many others come together, get weighed and measured, then I cast vote for the SNP. If only facts mattered and not opinions I would probably vote Tory. Everything in politics has to viewed through the prism of ones own set of standards. The behaviour and attitude of the Tory leadership is revolting to me and that matters to me more than a few pence on the pound.

debate
/dɪˈbeɪt/

noun
noun: debate; plural noun: debates
  1. a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.

Fooks sake, I thought this thread would have burnt out like Covid. Is this the second or third wave?
Hang on,, Welcome back @Dutto - seems like you brought the extra waves,,, :laugh8: and I'm 7 months down from RHS total hip replacement. Following avascular necrosis from a kitesurf accident. At least brewing is safer. Is it right that Glaxco Cline (GSK) co-incidentally in Barnard Castle and someone may have an ulterior motive for visiting, that was not essential for the Govt,,, Curious? or maybe he was volunteering; Become a clinical research volunteer | GSK = Hero? Anyway I thought mass-debates make you blind? and visceral distain can be cured with ointment? I'll go now,,, :coat:

Last edited:
Then it is not a debate, its just nonsense. Your only stating what you think you know.
Your entitled to your opinion of voting Tory is morally wrong, doesn't mean to say its morally wrong for everyone.

Then it is not a debate, its just nonsense. Your only stating what you think you know.
Your entitled to your opinion of voting Tory is morally wrong, doesn't mean to say its morally wrong for everyone.

In your opinion

The Cummings debarcal gives us an insight to how they look on the populus.
The message from the start was if you are ill stay at home, as soon as one of their own is caught suddenly exceptions that no one else seemed to know about were rolled out.

Not my opinion, how can you have a debate based on supposition, just not possible.
It is your opinion. Your opinion is that it is not morally wrong for everyone. You cant present any facts based on the moral standards of others. So its opinion. Debates are almost always based on differing opinions some of which cant be proved or disproved, only backed up with reasoning, some of which you see in the post above this one which correctly points out the bizarre bordering on cringeworthy circling of the wagons round Cummings, who blatantly broke rules he helped to write, and which, when followed by most, have resulted in people not being able to bury loved ones or say goodbye.

The tories think wee Dom acted responsibly. You though.... Well you get a sixty quid fine and treated as a criminal.

Latest posts

Back