Bri's grainfather ettempt part 1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done. Welcome back to all grain! I've always been tempted by a Grainfather. This makes it look even more appealing.

Just caught up with this thread, well done that man, your in good?bad company forgetting the kettle finnings (irish moss..) ive left em out of my last 2 brews too.. just dont expect the clearest pint in the glass and you may be pleasantly surprised (but probably not)..

a grainfather set up tip ;) if you use starsan as a sanitiser, its soapy foamy consistency, especially if applied with a trigger spray bottle helps lube the end plates with silicone seals to slip into place without removing the silicone seal in the process ;)

Just caught up with this thread, well done that man, your in good?bad company forgetting the kettle finnings (irish moss..) ive left em out of my last 2 brews too.. just dont expect the clearest pint in the glass and you may be pleasantly surprised (but probably not)..

a grainfather set up tip ;) if you use starsan as a sanitiser, its soapy foamy consistency, especially if applied with a trigger spray bottle helps lube the end plates with silicone seals to slip into place without removing the silicone seal in the process ;)

Thx pal
Yeah after you pm'n about Irish moss aswell!! Haha! Well we see!
First time using liquid yeast..mmm bugger to open and use with one hand..might go back to dried..but never say never.
The only thing will be I dedicate s full day and not at night time, delayed my meds coz that would be stupid :-;
A bonus was I sold one of my copper wort chillers to a top bloke just starting off.
Got the ferm time regulated and a healthy crust on it..
Took chippy-T advice and contacted a company that can do a glolch clone kit to order for the lager fans.
But that's when I get the ferm chamber sorted..
Like I said if an old one handed brewer like me can use the kit anyone can do! Ok the price of a gf kit puts people off but it's a ettentual part for me to enjoyed the hobby and less bits of kit to mess on....OR MESS UP!

Well done. Welcome back to all grain! I've always been tempted by a Grainfather. This makes it look even more appealing.

Hello Simon
In time I say "where would I be without the gf system?"
Probably being stressed on leaking hoses all ova, taps left open! Missing ingredient...mopping the floor...bad old days lol

Looking good! Was holding off commenting until B-Day... seemed to go without a hitch (I think everyone forgets the moss I know I do sometimes).

Am also now tempted by the shinynessof the GF. What's the max brew capacity for it? 25ltr?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Looking good! Was holding off commenting until B-Day... seemed to go without a hitch (I think everyone forgets the moss I know I do sometimes).

Am also now tempted by the shinynessof the GF. What's the max brew capacity for it? 25ltr?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

23l but you could squeeze more out of it, I've seem suggestions that 6.5 US gallons are possible but that's only 24.5l. You could increase the grain bill to increase the OG and then top up with water during the boil to get extra volume that way, not something I've tried but it should be straight forward enough.

23l but you could squeeze more out of it, I've seem suggestions that 6.5 US gallons are possible but that's only 24.5l. You could increase the grain bill to increase the OG and then top up with water during the boil to get extra volume that way, not something I've tried but it should be straight forward enough.
the guys had a major stroke...so its slowly slowly DM

I was answering @AlanManley 's question! :lol:

Yous are the best tonic!! Lol
Multiple strokes and the grim reaper visited 5 times ova 2 years...it's not as much as I faced in 25 years of active conflict....but that's another story...think the last time grim visited supped my beer and got p'd..forgot what he was supposed to do!!
🍻🍻
Battle all the way...

08/11/16
Well it's been a week plus.
The reading of the stout is 1.020..
From 1.047.
I'll check for the next few days.
No bubbling at all.
A good crust on the FV so it's ok..
Any suggestions? Just getting my memory sorted..lol

Taste? can you detect residual sweetness still? It should continue to drop so leave it another week and check again.

patience ;) many folk will leave it in the bucket for 2-3weeks before checking it ..

Mornin Fil
Year memories came back to me lol
Like I said I'm just taking it slow the batch it ok.
Just now have to work out the ferm chamber for my lager!!!
Later pal

I kegged a stout last week, it took 3 weeks almost to ferment with the slight temp drops now we are into October/ November.

Latest posts

Back