Bri's grainfather ettempt part 1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20/11/16
Well I had a promping on this thread and a PM what about getting the micro piework and do smaller batches!!
Makes sence once my small brain looked at it!
I only sample a beer once in a while..(due to medical conditions)
The cost of 40 pints etc.
And who would have to beers!
So I got the micro pipework, and some yeast...to now research yeast properly.
Want wait to look at the small batches..about 15l
Thinking it the way ahead....
If I finally get my ferm chamber set up the lager would be ok 23l for some pals.
Small batches for me to mature and sample...well Xmas is coming!
Now which recipe to try??????
Hmmmmmm!

Righhht!! I'm **** at this water ph milarky..
So could help me?
The meter has been caribrated and this is the cold water up to room temp.

This is the temp meter thingy

Now what can I do to adjust this???
I'm totally **** like I said..might be easy for yous but I'm confused lol
Any help be appreciated
Obviously I'm doing something wrong as always...but I might surprise yous...haha!

About full volume mashing in the grainfather, that is brewing without a sparge, you simply mash in with the full preboil volume including losses and pull the malt tube/grains prior to the boil, Efficiency may take a point hit or two but the continual mash recirculation should ensure the liquor is at max saturation at the end of the mash anyway ;)

as for PH Alkalinity and TDS, my lay understanding is you needent worry about the start liquor so much unless the PH of your mash is outside the range of 5.2-5.5

http://charterhouse-aquatics.com/sh...RlQpeQa_9Cxmx6YReRYT77eexSX8VgrrWthoCPETw_wcB

is the test you need to determine how much Calcium salts are contributing to a too high ph and will ndicate how much CRS (Calcium Reducing Solution )to use.

Fwiw my tap water PH is 8 ish, and all my mashes convert a-ok and ive never bothered with a mash ph test :( I keep meaning to but never quite get round to it..

tbh
I know squat about the water milarky...baffles me...
so all I want to know is my water is fine from the reading.
ya might as well speak in an foreign language tbh...no send in my brain..
lol

You and me both Bri, I picked up the water book in the same series as the chris white yeast book along with the malt and hop books, and while the malt and hop books are not the easy read that yeast is I could read em, The water Book introduced me to a couple of things im still not on board with such as a salt in solution is both adistinct ion and cation and the salt all at the same time?? WTF??

basically measure your next mash ph, If it falls within 5.2 to 5.5 Dont do anything or worry at all your in the sweet spot.

Only If outside that range should you need to look deeper If your beers suffering from incomplete conversion or you think you may bump the flavour up a bit.
And then start with determining the alkalinity represented by calcium carbonate as thats the salt the CRS acid solutions react with.

I've just treated my water for the first time (based on a Murphy's water report), I don't understand it as well as I'd like to at the minute despite reading a lot on the subject. I have hard water which isn't suited to pale ales so it'll be interesting to see how this brew fares with the last pale I brewed.

Hi mick n Fil
Well!! What can I say? If you can't fathom the whole water milarky there's not much hope from an old knacker that got a damaged brain!!! Lol
I was successful a few years ago for one of my degrees qualifications 'global threat of terrorisms around the world' but this is like Chinese writingto me! (No pun intended to the Chinese btw)
When I consider a couldn't under understand the simple letter A...nearly two years ago..dint know what numbers where, words where.
But not is lost! Lol
Yous are really good to be and know I've need 'special coaching' sometimes...well most of the time..all the time lol
This theropy is been the best thing for me...once Learnt...practiced..I'm a new man again...the brain is a interesting subject if you've got a damaged Brian-oops! Brain...
One thing you know is certain I'll not undertake master degree in a hurry!!
But what I lack..I put into learning again...
Upwards on onwards!!! :-)

Latest posts

Back