Diane Abbott: My views on IRA, like my hair, have changed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:whistle:Here we go again:doh:

What would you suggest?

Let people get away with nonsensical, false and prejudiced posts about racial equality?

They have a right to speak - but they must accept being flagged up as wrong, ill-informed and, where it is the case, morally out of whack.

You should take that back, really.

Um, no. Do white people have the White Police Officers Association, the MOWO Awards etc? If they want treating equally (as they most certainly should be) then stop behaving / suggesting otherwise. We are all the same, right?

Um, no. Do white people have the White Police Officers Association, the MOWO Awards etc? If they want treating equally (as they most certainly should be) then stop behaving / suggesting otherwise. We are all the same, right?

No, we're not. Not culturally. Not economically. Not in terms of employment. Not in terms of hundreds of other things.

BMEs are still oppressed and repressed. They need representation and progressive policies to promote equality. We, as a society, are not there yet.

Why is that difficult to appreciate?

wFtR9p.gif

Society is totally, institutionally skewed. You're not really in the game unless you went to an independent or grammar school.

Where do you imagine BME are represented?

Screenshot from 2017-06-08 08:58:40_v1.jpg

What would you suggest?

Let people get away with nonsensical, false and prejudiced posts about racial equality?

They have a right to speak - but they must accept being flagged up as wrong, ill-informed and, where it is the case, morally out of whack.
I made a statement,
Have i mentioned any names? NO
Think you are a tad paranoid pal:whistle:

Black people want to be treated differently (Music of Black Origin Awards, Black Police Officers Association etc etc) then complain when they are. You can't win. As if it's a competition anyway.

That's crazy, a complete straw man argument . MBOA is a celebration of a particular culture, and the Black Police Officers Association is an organisation within a work place similar to a union t represent it members (power in numbers). Black people complain when being treated NEGATIVELY disproportionately. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to celebrate who they are or band together to have an equal say in the workplace. Or that people should shut up and suck it up if they're being treated negatively?

I've said that I hate identity politics but as far as I can see that is about giving certain special interest groups certain ADVANTAGES others groups in society in some misguided attemt to even the playing field which I'm dead against. But I'm not blind to the fact that their are some groups in society are at DISADVANTAGE so may need special help to compete on an equal footing with the rest of society. What you've posted above is like saying wheelchair users shouldn't have ramps to get on buses if they want to to be treated the same as everyone else because non disabled people dont use ramps

That's crazy, a complete straw man argument . MBOA is a celebration of a particular culture, and the Black Police Officers Association is an organisation within a work place similar to a union t represent it members (power in numbers). Black people complain when being treated NEGATIVELY disproportionately. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to celebrate who they are or band together to have an equal say in the workplace. Or that people should shut up and suck it up if they're being treated negatively?

I've said that I hate identity politics but as far as I can see that is about giving certain special interest groups certain ADVANTAGES others groups in society in some misguided attemt to even the playing field which I'm dead against. But I'm not blind to the fact that their are some groups in society are at DISADVANTAGE so may need special help to compete on an equal footing with the rest of society. What you've posted above is like saying wheelchair users shouldn't have ramps to get on buses if they want to to be treated the same as everyone else because non disabled people dont use ramps

I've had three times in my career that I have not got a promotion at work at work and people I knew in senior management admitted to me I was the best candidate but the recruiting manager had pressure applied to give the job to a woman. One manager told me he said I should get the job and was told he would have to do several days worth of paperwork to justify why he hadn't given the job to a woman. The second woman he gave a job to instead of me was so disruptive and caused so many problems in the department that the whole department was restructured to put her in a role where she could cause less damage. They did one disciplinary meeting with her and she flew off the handle saying it was discrimination and they where too scared to take it further. This is the damage so called positive discrimination does in our society.

It is pushed as being positive discrimination for women but I have been discriminated against and it causes negativity. Until we have true equality there willl always be discrimination and discriminating against one group will make them want to discriminate back. Its human nature.

As an approaching middle aged male I am in the most discriminated against group in society yet somehow this is seen as acceptable, particularly by the liberal left.

I've had three times in my career that I have not got a promotion at work at work and people I knew in senior management admitted to me I was the best candidate but the recruiting manager had pressure applied to give the job to a woman. One manager told me he said I should get the job and was told he would have to do several days worth of paperwork to justify why he hadn't given the job to a woman. The second woman he gave a job to instead of me was so disruptive and caused so many problems in the department that the whole department was restructured to put her in a role where she could cause less damage. They did one disciplinary meeting with her and she flew off the handle saying it was discrimination and they where too scared to take it further. This is the damage so called positive discrimination does in our society.

It is pushed as being positive discrimination for women but I have been discriminated against and it causes negativity. Until we have true equality there willl always be discrimination and discriminating against one group will make them want to discriminate back. Its human nature.

As an approaching middle aged male I am in the most discriminated against group in society yet somehow this is seen as acceptable, particularly by the liberal left.

Was this in the public or private sector?

And this is the kind of thing I hate. Positive discrimination/identity politics. I dont know what you do for a living but whoever decided to opt for positive descrimination should be looking at the reasons why (possibly) women are less represented in your area of work/management area of your work and look towards changing that and (possibly) the surrounding it culture . So all workers can compete on an equal footing for management jobs and groups are represented more equally

The biggest problem with positive discrimination is people may forever be viewed as only getting in a job because of their gender or skin colour, even if it's not true.

I wonder how any black female forum members might read this thread.

Or maybe beer is just for white blokes.

Beer is for Boys - Wine is for Women. :lol:

nah.... My daughter tore a strip off me for not getting her a beer when we were in ironbridge - which has a traditional bottled ale shop. However I reminded her she'd not picked up any beers from her local before she came home for the summer....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...russels-Bangor_Gwynedd_North_Wales_Wales.html

then I remembered bank of mum & dad pay all the bills :doh:

I will drink wine, normally when the only beer on offer is rubbish.

Diversity already brings us so much benefit. Is anyone unhappy we have Italian, Chinese or Indian Restaurans & food for example? As per the original title thread it was About Diane's performance on that interview for me not who she is.

Anyone going on-air to TV interviews with heavyweights Andrew Neil or Marr need to be super sharp and she was not. Even dermot murnaghan blitzed her.

If our demographic was less white, male & British on this forum we could have a whole lot more advice and resources on other beer & wine from locals who have access to the real thing. I'm thinking more German & Belgian brewers for a start.

Of course it could be that those forum members who are not uk based have joined because of their love of warm english ale and how to brew it ;-)

Latest posts

Back