Inside the Factory - Guinness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I mash them separately, I make up my liquor from RO because although based in Dublin I'm on the hard water side of the city. I pull 3x the volume from the total volume of liquor, versus roast barley , eg 330g roast = 0.990L . I've an induction hob , I heat the liquor to ~90c and mash in the roast barley un -milled, cowboy-coffee style . I give it as much time as possible, to maximise colour extraction, at as close to boiling as possible, without having boil overs and stir it from time to time . I then heat the main mash liquor to strike in temp , I've found personally that the main mash needs a 62c step and a 67c step for the flaked barley to convert adequately to get a final gravity in the 1.008- 1.010 region . After a mash out , I pull the grain bag, and while its draining , I empty the roast barley mash into the kettle through a sieve, I "sparge" the roast barley grains through the sieve, with the pale wort maybe three times or four times to maximise colour extraction . Add hops and boil away for 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Im worried now that i only did a half hour boil last week for my stout and ate the crispy skin off my chicken dinner on sunday. Is a longer boil needed for these nitro chemicals. I aint boiling my chickens though

View attachment 95086
I just double checked and they did say 80-90
at the point where they pulled a sample... although thinking about it that might just be because they were heating it ready to add into the boil and so perhaps not necessarily the steeping temperature. I think I'm going to experiment with it myself and see how it turns out
When I make a Foreign Extra Stout clone I add my none fermentables at mash out for 20 minutes at 78C I do it with all my beers which have a grain bill with any none fermentable. Why? The salt additions are always close for whatever beer one is going to brew.
For the sour I have tried different combinations, remove 2 litres of wort of a 21 litre batch and ferment separately with a wild yeast. Don't try to harvest it from the atmosphere, buy a wild yeast strain. Ferment it out and bring the 2 litres of wort to 80C before adding to the fermenter. Ferment out and you have something close to a Guinness Extra Stout.
I would say ignore the noble hops which is in one of the videos, I can't see that given the bitterness needed Target I would go with or a large dose of EKG at 60 minutes. Doesn't need any prettying up after the one charge. It is bitter and sour.

It's interesting to see the convoluted method used to make, an arguably bland, mass market product, but I'd be more inclined to brew the 1883 version. I'm not seeing any evidence that not mashing in one with higher mineral content, makes for a more flavoursome beer. Sodium with Chloride is a very highly regarded flavour enhancer.

Wow fascinating, so target is the hop of choice think i might have a go i have a fair bit of roasted barley, time for some research
I wouldn't read anything into the hop farm segment, they obviously asked the BHA for a farm to visit and BHA director Ali Capper got to get herself on the telly.

Historically it was a blend including Northdown among others, but in the show they made passing reference to hop extract, which these days is mostly Pilgrim but I'm not sure it matters too much as the roast barley tends to swamp anything from the hops.

"Guinness is created using four key ingredients – roasted barley, malted barley, hops, yeast and water making Guinness dairy-free."

From a link to the Guinness website FAQs. Flaked Barley would make six.

Last edited:
"Guinness is created using four key ingredients – roasted barley, malted barley, hops, yeast and water making Guinness dairy-free."

From a link to the Guinness website FAQs. Flaked Barley would make six.
Isn't "key" a bit like "upto" in legal terms, aka meaningless? "This car is up to 10% efficient" (it isn't more efficient in normal use). "These are our four key ingredients (not including sheep's brains which aren't really key. We just bung them in)

I can't say that I've ever subscribed to that. Most moderate gravity beers are done in a week.
Humm ... I think the email you replied to is a classic piece of @MashBag "irony"?

I don't think he'd wait longer than two days, fermenting in the boiler to save time. One day with the lid on to carbonate then out the boiler tap into his favorite dog bowl (a pint glass won't fit under the tap). The dog bowl also has the advantage you can drink beer from the floor - great when you don't want to waste time transferring to a table (and handy for those extra long sessions when perhaps you can't get off the floor).

😁

Humm ... I think the email you replied to is a classic piece of @MashBag "irony"?

I don't think he'd wait longer than two days, fermenting in the boiler to save time. One day with the lid on to carbonate then out the boiler tap into his favorite dog bowl (a pint glass won't fit under the tap). The dog bowl also has the advantage you can drink beer from the floor - great when you don't want to waste time transferring to a table (and handy for those extra long sessions when perhaps you can't get off the floor).

😁
I'm clearly having a bad hallucinations. goodnight or whatever time it is.

Threads merged - Admin.

The BBC TV series “Inside the Factory” 8.5. Have made a one hour programme centred in & around the Dublin Guinness Factory. Aimed at a general audience it showed how production of the Stout has been scaled up to mega Litre proportions. The “mashing” of roast barley separately from the malt & the addition of hops was rather glossed over. I’d be interested if others have seen the show & what they took from it?

Back