Inside the Factory - Guinness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threads merged - Admin.

The BBC TV series “Inside the Factory” 8.5. Have made a one hour programme centred in & around the Dublin Guinness Factory. Aimed at a general audience it showed how production of the Stout has been scaled up to mega Litre proportions. The “mashing” of roast barley separately from the malt & the addition of hops was rather glossed over. I’d be interested if others have seen the show & what they took from it?
Oops! Apologies, quick search missed this thread.
Could it be that the separate treatment of the roast barley enables the pH of the malt mash to be better controlled? When I visited Ireland in 1981 I would alternate between draught & the “live” bottled brew. More to relieve the boredom than anything. Like many others I’d culture the yeast for home brewing.

To restore some normality I'm going to be making a 12 litre batch tomorrow. I think its going to be quite simple. I was worrying about having to heat the sparge water and steep the black malt but there's only about 200g so I can just draw of a litre of the sparge water and steep it in there while I'm waiting for the boil and then pour it through a seive.

Could it be that the separate treatment of the roast barley enables the pH of the malt mash to be better controlled?
As above - a major factor is waste disposal, animals won't eat spent grains with roast barley in them. Processing separately allows them to create two separate waste streams. Not such a factor at our scale, but a big one for them.

As above - a major factor is waste disposal, animals won't eat spent grains with roast barley in them. Processing separately allows them to create two separate waste streams. Not such a factor at our scale, but a big one for them.
No one told my wife's horses that! They love roast barley. I think because it is unmalted and contains more protein, though I don't know if horses know that or they just like the taste?
Could it be that the separate treatment of the roast barley enables the pH of the malt mash to be better controlled? When I visited Ireland in 1981 I would alternate between draught & the “live” bottled brew. More to relieve the boredom than anything. Like many others I’d culture the yeast for home brewing.
I don't think it's the salts and pH, though it could also be about controlling the FG I am not sure, but definitely reduces the harshness.

Animals will eat spend grains with roasted malts in them, I can personally testify to this as I used to feed my spent grains to pigs. I suspect the case is that as a product spent grains with no roasted malts have a higher monetary value as animal feed.

A bit like with beer, the sheep will have the pale, stripped out fodder they're given, rather than anything that might contain flavour........

...... Probably™.

Last edited:
Well the pig that gets the benefit of my spent grain will happily eat the 3% - 5% of black roasted malt when I brew any dark beers or stouts. He likes the spent grain from my Pale Ales just as much as the spent hops are usually included too.

Thinking like a process engineer here, maybe they use the base wort for many other styles. They can customise it at the end by steeping and adding hops.
Can make Stout, Extra Stout, Hop House Lager, Coffee Stout, whatever.

Like a giant bowl of shortbread. mix Start with plain. You can send down one conveyer belt and make chocolate chip. Send down another and you can make toffee chip. Send down another and you can make chocolate covered.

Thinking like a process engineer here, maybe they use the base wort for many other styles. They can customise it at the end by steeping and adding hops.
Can make Stout, Extra Stout, Hop House Lager, Coffee Stout, whatever.

Like a giant bowl of shortbread. mix Start with plain. You can send down one conveyer belt and make chocolate chip. Send down another and you can make toffee chip. Send down another and you can make chocolate covered.
That was exactly my thought when I saw it but I wouldn’t expect them to want that to be public as it seems very fake.

You can bet your bottom dollar they're not doing it to make the best beer. I like a pint of Guiness from time to time, but not sure it is a proper Stout. Boarding on a black lager as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the day they're all about selling volume so they need to make it quick and plenty of it and get it sold.

like a pint of Guiness from time to time, but not sure it is a proper Stout. Boarding on a black lager

I think that is a good point i said in the Guinness thread that i didn't like the taste years ago when i was a larger drinker and i didn't like it last week when i tried it again yet i will happily drink other stout.

Animals will eat spend grains with roasted malts in them, I can personally testify to this as I used to feed my spent grains to pigs. I suspect the case is that as a product spent grains with no roasted malts have a higher monetary value as animal feed.
That's definitely true and is why Truman mashed their roasted grains separately.

Latest posts

Back