Grain Substitution Chart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After A couple of questions on another thread about grain subtitutions, I've found this chart useful if your regular grain supplier hasn't got the grain you want in stock

http://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

My wife brought me a book with a very similar layout to this. It's The Homebrew Handbook by Dave Law:thumb:
Printed this off to add to it.

That's really useful and just saved me a few bob on specialty grains :thumb:

It's a right pain when your chosen supplier has everything you need for a brew except one or two grain types. Or when you see a grain in a recipe you've never seen before and you think WTF is that. This chart has helped me out with that on more than one occasion

So is aromatic malt, biscuit malt ??

I dont think it's always a case of one malt is the same as another but one malt can be subbed for anthor to get a similar effect/taste/aroma but not the same.
I usually use the chart as a starting point then google, for example, "aromatic malt substitute" and do bit of background reading to find the best sub as there can sometimes be more than one candidate

I dont think it's always a case of one malt is the same as another but one malt can be subbed for anthor to get a similar effect/taste/aroma but not the same.
I usually use the chart as a starting point then google, for example, "aromatic malt substitute" and do bit of background reading to find the best sub as there can sometimes be more than one candidate

Thanks for the advice
I'am going to do a strong Belgium ale next, that calls for aromatic malt
Can't see it at geterbrewed
Am I being thick etc
Or is it called by a difrent name
Many thank Martin

Latest posts

Back