Polish blackcurrant syrup cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tesco finally got in the blackcurrant version of Lowicz syrup, and I bought a few bottles to experiment with. First I thought I'd try a cider.

DSC00796.jpg

Recipe is basic - 8 litres of AJ (I used Lidl brand), full bottle of syrup, yeast nutrient, pectloase, tannin (tea) cider yeast. Didn't take an OG reading. Once I've topped up to 10litres I'll calculate the sugars to guess the abv, probably 7-8%

It smells DIVINE :D A bit like purple skittles. It's one of the few brews I just wanna stick a straw through the lid hole and drink away at :mrgreen: It will be a while before I can drink it but I can't wait!

Oh, it was bottling day a few days ago too, here's the results,

DSC00795-1.jpg

DSC00793-1.jpg

DSC00792-1.jpg

It's a very nice fruit cider.. I made a batch a month or so ago that's sitting waiting for drinking. The odd bit that wouldn't fit in the bottles went down a treat. A very dry slightly ribena flavoured cider. There is a slight bitterness that might have some adding a splash of apple juice in the glass for a bit of sweetness.

Are the bottles the same recipe but with the cherry syrup? - that's a very nice one as well.

Good to know it ends up nice too, I was hoping all the blackcurrant flavour wouldn't disappear! I find it difficult to keep apple juice in the fridge for actual drinking, it tends to all get turned into cider

The cherryade is just the syrup with water and sugar (like the raspberryade recipe), which I haven't tried yet and the taste of the syrup was a bit :sick: to me, but I have a few friends who love cherry and they can drink it aorund christmas. These syrups are amazing, I really could spend a fortune on them and brew with them constantly!

I might try a bit of the cherry syrup in some cider and see what it's like, it's a very artificial taste though, that reminds me of some rank sweets I had as a child!

Latest posts

Back