First running of the inkbird 308

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbond10

Regular.
Reaction score
After being given a discount for a inkbird 308 temp controller. I've finally managed to get everything built up and yesterday was its first dry test - by this I mean no beer in there no liquid just the probe in free air.
This is the first time the fridge has been on in 2 months as well so maybe once everything gets flowing it will respond quicker.

So far the dry test consisted of
A starting temp of 17.6c
We where aiming for 19.0 c
The highest it got was 20.4
The lowest it went was 18.4
This was all within a space of 40 minutes as this was just a dry test to see if everything went ok and switched on and off I feel this test went ok. Tonight ill be putting water in there to see temp stability -I'm aware yeast is an exothermic reaction so may alter temp stability slightly but hey we shall see.

The pro s
Plug n play litrally you could brew beer pull this out the box and away you go with this.

Relatively low noise occasional switching noise when a relay opens.

Nice long probe cable with a large sensor certainly bigger than the st1000 one

Nice bright display, kind of easy to easy to setup once instructions are read.

Solid sturdy well built device

The cons
Unless ypu read the instructions some of the letters will mean nothing but it's like a new phone I guess.

Quiete short cable on the heat/cool extension lead

The instructions are small very small. If camra are to believed most ale drinkers are over 55 there gonna struggle I'm 28 and I struggled to read um in low light.

How it can be improved

Slightly longer lead on the extension heat/cool block

Bigger instructions

An inkbird heat source a pre wired hey this will heat your fridge just fine kind of thing might be an idea

As this was a dry test ill post back later with a proper wet test later

Cheers sean

Nice write up, I'm going to get one when i get another brew fridge to save me messing about with another STC 1000

Jay

Highly recommend it no messing about with cables and project box s and hoping your wirings ok...
Absolutly great retail price too at 30 quid which may decrease as production increases.

I also recommend considering a ceramic heat bulb (I'm using a 25w one at themo) there about a tenner to set up and replacement bulbs are around 2.25 each. I've heard tube heaters cost more and can suddenly break with a bulb just keep a spare no major issues then.

Just waiting to finish work then I can do a wet test

I've had one if these bad boys connected to a probe in my FV lid and a brew belt....wrapped the FV in a thermal jacket and stuck the whole lot out in the cold garage....been working a treat, set it to 20oC with a tolerance of 0.5 so hovers nicely around 19.6 switching the belt on and off as and when (which has been less on since the addition of the thermal jacket) Cant knock it so far....couldn't have been doing with faffing about wiring stuff

I've looked into getting one of these to control the element in my kettle/HLT, but sadly it's really not designed for this. Higher than 70C, it loses its accuracy, which of course renders it a bit useless when strike temps need to be higher. It looks like a great device though and I hope they come out with a version which can handle higher temps.

Are these better to submerge the probe in your wort?

That's what I've done....dunno how it will turn out though! Hopefully after 2 wks the metal wont have reacted badly with the wort!

Highly recommend it no messing about with cables and project box s and hoping your wirings ok...
Absolutly great retail price too at 30 quid which may decrease as production increases.

I also recommend considering a ceramic heat bulb (I'm using a 25w one at themo) there about a tenner to set up and replacement bulbs are around 2.25 each. I've heard tube heaters cost more and can suddenly break with a bulb just keep a spare no major issues then.

Tell me more about these ceramic heaters. Do they just go into an ordinary lightbulb holder?

How is the heat distribution? Looks like a good option.

Ceramic heaters are essentially a none light emitting light bulb used in vivariums so to keep animals warm but not to produce unnessary light like at night times. The most important thing I can't help stress don't use an e27 plastic bulb holder if will melt it needs to be ceramic or porcelain

The bulb holder etc http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERAMIC-Vivarium-Heat-bulb-Lamp-Light-LAMP-HOLDER-kit-/220532008443?nav=SEARCH

Maplin also sell the holders you'll have to look at the plugs cable s etc to check ratings

The bulb

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-50-75-100W-Pet-Reptile-Breeding-Ceramic-Emitter-Heated-Heater-Light-Bulb-Lamp-/351439484679?nav=SEARCH

I'm using 25 w I've heard of people using even less simply cause huge amount of heat aren't needed imo your choice tho.

Moving on

The wet test started at 21:10 at 26.7 c and so far 3 n bits hours later the inkbird is slowly bringing temp down it started with the compressor delay so to protect the fridge. But so far the inkbird has performed once again flawlessly

Thanks so much for your good ideas and suggestions, inkbird keeps improve our products.

I've looked into getting one of these to control the element in my kettle/HLT, but sadly it's really not designed for this. Higher than 70C, it loses its accuracy, which of course renders it a bit useless when strike temps need to be higher. It looks like a great device though and I hope they come out with a version which can handle higher temps.

Temperature control range -50 ~ 99 ° C. You want to control higher than 70c,it's ok.

Well I've woken this morn and the temp is sitting nicely at 18.8c on the outside of the fv not tested the actual water temp but I imagine it be similiar. So far the inkbird has only used the cooling side of the controller as the room temp is around 17 anyway but I imagine having the fridge has created less temp fluctuitions

Temperature control range -50 ~ 99 ° C. You want to control higher than 70c,it's ok.

Thanks for your reply. I understand it goes higher than 70, but the accuracy of ±1c goes, meaning I have to spend time working out what the discrepancy is. Also I'm not sure 99c would be powerful enough for a vigorous boil.

Further update

The temp on the inkbird was showing 18.7 c and the actual water temp was 19.9.

This is with the small probe taped to the side of the fv wrapped in bubble wrap. So nothing wrong with the acrucey of the inkbird just the plastic in the fv so ill just set the controller 1 degree lower.

I'd love the long probe version but I don't know if I'd want something in my wort for 14 days. Also I don't want to wire something my self

The 308-s come with 12" probe that connects on a cable and I detachable so no need for wiring

The 308-s come with 12" probe that connects on a cable and I detachable so no need for wiring

I have the none detachable older model inbird supplied a diagram how to attach the deattacable probe to the older model

I have the none detachable older model inbird supplied a diagram how to attach the deattacable probe to the older model

There's a thread on here somewhere IIRC correctly that shows how to do it with photos

Latest posts

Back