“Mythos” ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philguk

Reaction score
After too many business trips (and holidays) to Greece, I developed quite a liking for Mythos

Has anyone come up with a recipe or a tweak to get something close to home brewed Mythos??

Just wondering, as a newbie. Might be a good place to start experimenting

I wouldn’t get your hopes up as a newbie. Making a bland mass produced lager is actually quite tricky to do.

(and yes I have had Mythos in Greece but doubt it’ll be quite the same over here)

One thing I would always say is trying to clone something you like can be a bit of a dangerous territory. Even if what you make is awesome , you will always try and draw a comparison.

I would a simple pilsner with Saaz which will be around what you are looking for

Are you a kit bewer or All grain and do you have temp control for fermenting low?

One thing I would always say is trying to clone something you like can be a bit of a dangerous territory. Even if what you make is awesome , you will always try and draw a comparison.

I would a simple pilsner with Saaz which will be around what you are looking for

Are you a kit bewer or All grain and do you have temp control for fermenting low?
Thanks

Kit brewer - looking to my third so REALLY a newbie! No temperature control (yet), so far I just leave stuff to ferment until I’m REALLY sure it’s done.

whats Saaz? Wikipedia isn’t much help

I dont use kits so I cannot say for sure but never made a lager kit. I know you can absolutely make great lager from grain.

I have tried some lager kits by others and have to say they were really bland to me..

I dont know what a good lager kit would be to be honest but you could dry hop with saaz anyway to give it a life (dry hopping is adding hops directly into the fermentor after fermentation is complete for about say 5 days before you bottle.

I dont use kits so I cannot say for sure but never made a lager kit. I know you can absolutely make great lager from grain.

I have tried some lager kits by others and have to say they were really bland to me..

I dont know what a good lager kit would be to be honest but you could dry hop with saaz anyway to give it a life (dry hopping is adding hops directly into the fermentor after fermentation is complete for about say 5 days before you bottle.
Cheers Covrich (and thanks for not assuming I’d know what “dry hopping” is!) 👍

Try crossmyloof. They have a sheet on their website and eBay with the list of hops they sell and their uses/styles, flavours, aromas and strength

Try crossmyloof. They have a sheet on their website and eBay with the list of hops they sell and their uses/styles, flavours, aromas and strength
OMG!!!
Headed to their site expecting a choice of a "few" different hops. Maybe even a dozen to sift through
Was NOT expecting quite such a selection, but an interesting read for sure
Much appreciated

OMG!!!
Headed to their site expecting a choice of a "few" different hops. Maybe even a dozen to sift through
Was NOT expecting quite such a selection, but an interesting read for sure
Much appreciated
If your feeling really brave there's a website called Hopslist | The Home of Beer Hops and they try to catalogue all hops. It's got a lot of American brand names/farms and I'm not sure how easy they are to source.

Cheers Covrich (and thanks for not assuming I’d know what “dry hopping” is!) 👍
Should have asked. Is there a “guide” quantity of hops to add per litre of liquid? Or at least a starting point I can experiment from??

Should have asked. Is there a “guide” quantity of hops to add per litre of liquid? Or at least a starting point I can experiment from??
For a lager hops essentially just to add a small amount of bitterness, which is measured in a scale of IBU (bitterness units), that will dictate the quantity of hops you need and also the length of time they are boiled.

As above Saaz would be a good bet to produce a decent pilsner for a starting point into brewing to get to know the processes.

If you're going the all grain route theres a guide on here on how to make a basic small batch all grain brew, for a first step into brewing it would make a good starting point, just bear in mind there are specific processes for making a lager vs ale (lower, slower fermentation temp and cold conditioning for lagers that dont really apply to ales).

Last edited:
Heres a recipe for a Mythos clone, though I cant verify if it's any good. You could substitute tettnang with saaz and maybe just use all pilsner malt if you dont want the hassle of sourcing small quantities of additional grain yet. It states 20IBU which sounds OK. And Saflager German lager yeast, which should be easy to get hold of.

You want to use very soft water so if you have hard tap water it would be better to use cheap bottled water with low minerals such as Tesco ashbeck.

The recipe is for quite a big batch but if you want to scale down the volume you can just scale the ingredients down as well, linearly. A gallon batch would be a good start if you dont have any equipment yet

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/498785/frode-mythos

Last edited:
For a lager hops essentially just to add a small amount of bitterness, which is measured in a scale of IBU (bitterness units), that will dictate the quantity of hops you need and also the length of time they are boiled.

As above Saaz would be a good bet to produce a decent pilsner for a starting point into brewing to get to know the processes.

If you're going the all grain route theres a guide on here on how to make a basic small batch all grain brew, for a first step into brewing it would make a good starting point, just bear in mind there are specific processes for making a lager vs ale (lower, slower fermentation temp and cold conditioning for lagers that dont really apply to ales).
athumb.. thanks

Heres a recipe for a Mythos clone, though I cant verify if it's any good. You could substitute tettnang with saaz and maybe just use all pilsner malt if you dont want the hassle of sourcing small quantities of additional grain yet. It states 20IBU which sounds OK. And Saflager German lager yeast, which should be easy to get hold of.

You want to use very soft water so if you have hard tap water it would be better to use cheap bottled water with low minerals such as Tesco ashbeck.

The recipe is for quite a big batch but if you want to scale down the volume you can just scale the ingredients down as well, linearly. A gallon batch would be a good start if you dont have any equipment yet

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/498785/frode-mythos
More bedtime reading - Thanks again

Latest posts

Back