1 gallon or 5?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triker

Reaction score
I suspect I'm about to ask a stupid question but.... Being a relatively new wine maker I have discovered that brewing 1 gallon of wine is really good but... it doesn't last too long! So bulk brewing is the answer. If I want to brew 5 gallons instead of 1 do I just use multiples of the ingredients? Apart from the yeast is it that simple?

As CJJ Berry says in "First Steps", five gallons takes no longer to make than one, and lasts nearly twice as long.

But yes, you simply scale up all quantities apart from the yeast, which you might only double or treble.

But be careful with the amount of sugar you add, x5 of sugar might be a tad too much add less in the first instance and use a hydrometer to check your gravity. you can always add a bit more after a few days

I've pretty well given up on one gallon batches. I just don't see the point.
I still have a pile of DJ's and was actually looking at real cork solid bungs on-line last night with a view to using them for bulk maturation.

As for recipes, there's plenty worked out for 5g batches, there's 5g kits (which work out much cheaper than the 1g versions) or you can just scale up.

5g batches also make things like filtration economically viable and worth the effort.

piddledribble said:
But be careful with the amount of sugar you add, x5 of sugar might be a tad too much
Where's the logic in that? :wha:

If you're starting with x5 the volume, then what's the difference, unless you're trying to make rocket fuel?

Like Ken, I never faff about with single gallons anymore but I do use glass DJs for long-term maturation to free up my larger fermenters.

PS: Ken, I pay 15p each for large corks. If you want me to grab you a few next time I'm up Gornal, drop me a PM.

x5 of sugar might be a tad too much add less in the first instance

just a note in adding a lot of sugar in one go to wines, I've found it better to add it in stages so as not to shock the yeasts, but you can shove it all in in one go and risk stuck ferments if you want

I think I've got a stuck ferment, I didn't know to much sugar could cause the yeast to not work, I thought I was gonna make a bad ass strong drink but nothing's Hapnin at all

Like I said, unless you're trying to make rocket fuel.

I generally make my wines around 13% abv, and mostly with yeast compounds which I know will easily tolerate in excess of 17%, so I have no problem with lobbing all of the sugar in from the start.

@ alawlor: recipe and timescale please?

What yeast would you recommend Moley and can I get it at Gornal ?

My friend who does wine on a regular basis swears by wyeast wine yeasts. He claims you get better results out of it compared to dried yeasts. I am just going by his information as i only ever make kits.

Triker said:
What yeast would you recommend Moley and can I get it at Gornal ?
For most of my winemaking I use general purpose yeast compounds which contain nutrients and bentonite. Harris market their own or I got the Young's super yeast compound from Wilkinson but I haven't been in there for a few weeks or seen what they are selling since their stock change.

If I'm making (for example) elderberry and/or blackberry, I might use the Gervin GVx sachets from the Harris shop. If I recall correctly it's GV2 with a red label for full-bodied red wines. The Harris shop stocks a reasonable selection of varietal wine yeasts, and of course as it's a proper HBS you can ask for advice.

Thanks Moley. I agree Harris's is great shop, I always find them very helpful :thumb:

Back