10 ltr mini kegs.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno

Reaction score
Hi peeps,
I have just bought myself a pair of Dark Farm 10 ltr mini kegs but they came with only 1 tap (as expected) beautiful quality too.
My question is this:-

When I fill them with a batch of brew obviously 1 will have the tap assembly already connected so no foreseeable issues there, but will I have a problem with the other keg when the time comes to swap the tap over?
I’m hoping to keg clear and force carb but obviously I’m not gonna be able to do that with the capped keg.
Would it be better to prime the second keg and bleed of some gas to clear oxygen? Not looking for fizzy as I prefer real ale gas levels.
Prolly spring for another spear head shortly but is it needed?
Hope I make sense, cheers 🍻

I got mine about two weeks ago and will shortly be in the same boat. I don't see why you couldn't at least partially prime the second keg and then when you move the tap over, finish the job. It's likely what I'll do until I get a second tap.

Thanks for the response Chris, guess nobody else uses them 🤷‍♂️ Think I’m just gonna get the top for disconnects, and pick up a party tap or something fancy, saves all the faff.
Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Interesting! Thank you!!
Was just thinking of filling empty keg with Co2 then beer to push out bad air and then sealing?? Then force carb at changeover Would that work?
Would those relief caps fit the dark farm kegs ? Dunno if they are all interchangeable or brand specific 🤷‍♂️
🍻

Interesting! Thank you!!
Was just thinking of filling empty keg with Co2 then beer to push out bad air and then sealing?? Then force carb at changeover Would that work?
Would those relief caps fit the dark farm kegs ? Dunno if they are all interchangeable or brand specific 🤷‍♂️
🍻
If the beer foams when you fill the mini keg, the foam will push out all the air as it contains only beer and CO2. I fill the keg until some foam overflows. All the kegs seem to have the same thread. If you fill the beer until the top of its parallel sides you leave a nice surface area to absorb the CO2. I set the pressure to 10psi but wind the knob back to zero when serving. If the keg gets empty you waste a lot ofgas if you have left it at 10pis or more. Then I wind it back to 10psi before it goes into the fridge.

I have a 5 litre mini keg, but it has a cap with disconnects on it.

If you're only carbonating to real ale levels then I don't think you'd have a problem removing the cap from one and moving it to another, as long as the beer is cold.

I also meant to say, clean the kegs really thoroughly. They have a tiny layer of machine oil and swarf in them (like most stainless kit from the factory), which will gradually deposit itself in your beer.

First time clean is best with hot washing up liquid as it lifts and suspends the oil, followed by your regular brewery cleaner to clean any residue.

Latest posts

Back