25kg Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know where I could get a 15l pot/kettle?
Could I do 2 lots of mash and then combine them in my current brew bucket rather than doing a smaller 10L brew?
Thank you for your help :)

What clint said. I got mine from wilko its really good quality for the price. Its advertised as 12L but is really 15L to the brim.

If you want to do a bigger brew length than 10L you can do something called 'Maxi-BIAB. You make a strong wort (but using the amount of hops for the longer brewlength) and then dilute it in the FV. I used to have an 18L pot and do 23L brewlengths using this technique. I reckon with a 15L pot you could do 18L-20L brewlength. How concentrated you can do it is determined by the maximum thickness of the mash. Too thick and the grain wont mash because you haven got enough water in there. I'm not sure what the maximum thickness is. I just used to eyeball it. But I'm sure there's a ratio out there somewhere on the interweb. I've never dont a proper Maxi-BIAB using my 15L pot as I just stick to 10L now. So I dont know what the longest brewlength you could manage would be using a 15L pot

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has bought a big 25kg bottle? of malt extract and if so what they used it for in terms of brewing.
From what I've read you can make ~40 pints per 3kg so you can make 333~ pints of beer from a 25kg bottle of malt extract that costs around £70? (I've seen some sites with it cheaper but they had sold out).
Is it a good idea to buy one of these 25kg containers of malt extract and using it for some budget homebrew?

Thank you

I used to buy these regularly and got some decent brews from them. They are quite heavy to manhandle though. This pic came from Malt Millar but they’re out of stock at the moment (not surprised when priced at £52!).

A8347A55-D8F0-4DDF-843E-5B6D40A2D480.jpeg

I've ordered a thermometer and I think I'm going to order that 17L pot tomorrow, is there anything else I'll need to start AG brewing? or anything that's handy to have?
Thank you again for all the help :)

Do you have any recommendations for LME or DME? (and where to purchase from?)

I buy mine from The Homebrew Company Home Brewing Supplies & Wine Making Kits - The Homebrew Company

They're not processing orders at the moment but their DME is one of the cheapest around and it's good quality. Can't remember if it's £5 or £5.50 per kg but they have regular sales and I've padi £4.50/kg in the past.

If you want to dip your toe into AG then do what I do: half AG, half DME. I can do this on the stove top with a 15L stockpot and brew 18L of beer. All you need is a stockpot and grainbag, both availbale off eBay. Cheapers than doing all extract, I usually size my recipes to use a single kg pack of DME, which results in the need for 1.5 - 2kg of grain.

I buy mine from The Homebrew Company Home Brewing Supplies & Wine Making Kits - The Homebrew Company

They're not processing orders at the moment but their DME is one of the cheapest around and it's good quality. Can't remember if it's £5 or £5.50 per kg but they have regular sales and I've padi £4.50/kg in the past.

If you want to dip your toe into AG then do what I do: half AG, half DME. I can do this on the stove top with a 15L stockpot and brew 18L of beer. All you need is a stockpot and grainbag, both availbale off eBay. Cheapers than doing all extract, I usually size my recipes to use a single kg pack of DME, which results in the need for 1.5 - 2kg of grain.
Hi Darrel, sounds like a good idea to me. I don't suppose you have any recipes using all ingredients from the homebrew company that you've had success with do you (trying AG brewing)?
Thanks,
Luke

How do you brew with DME, just DME, water and some hops? any recommended recipes or anything you've enjoyed?
Also do you have any good vendor recommendations for DME?
most of my brews are with dme with the odd mini mash....

today I did a dunkleweisen
2.5kg of dried wheat extract (DWE)
1kg of dark Dried malt extract
1 MJ bavarian yeast
100g saaz hops 15 min boil.

pitched at 27. simples.

or try mj cali common yeast
3.5kg of light dried malt extract - 100g of galaxy hops at flameout for 20 mins then 100g amarillo dry hop 5 days before packaging.

I tend to get richies 1kg bags ( muntons have a better range of dme and come in 500g bags - but they often burst in transit :-( )

most of my brews are with dme with the odd mini mash....

today I did a dunkleweisen
2.5kg of dried wheat extract (DWE)
1kg of dark Dried malt extract
1 MJ bavarian yeast
100g saaz hops 15 min boil.

pitched at 27. simples.

or try mj cali common yeast
3.5kg of light dried malt extract - 100g of galaxy hops at flameout for 20 mins then 100g amarillo dry hop 5 days before packaging.

I tend to get richies 1kg bags ( muntons have a better range of dme and come in 500g bags - but they often burst in transit :-( )
How bigger batch of the dunkleweisen does that recipe make? Any idea on the sg or what abv you think it'll come out at?
Thanks again for the responses 🙂

How bigger batch of the dunkleweisen does that recipe make? Any idea on the sg or what abv you think it'll come out at?
Thanks again for the responses 🙂

og was 1.062 for 21 litres so 6.5% abv estimated finishing at around 1.012. Of course you could brew longer. My fv is a 25l and it ran out of headspace needed to put a blow off tube on it 🙄

og was 1.062 for 21 litres so 6.5% abv estimated finishing at around 1.012. Of course you could brew longer. My fv is a 25l and it ran out of headspace needed to put a blow off tube on it 🙄
Sounds nice, I might give this a try. I'd really like to try AG but no where seems to have malt in stock or be accepting orders for malts/grains!

Back