2nd Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgan21

Reaction score
hi guy can i put my cider into jds for the second Fermentation with air locks or will this not work.

chris

Hi Chris

Secondary fermentation? Do you mean
A) Your cider has been in a bucket for X amount of days with some kind of ingredient that would not be suitable to go in a DJ, ie raisins, if so then go for it, let it ferment out dry and back-sweeten or use your hydro and stop it when its to your liking.
B) Do you mean after you have racked your cider, I personally bottled straight after DJ, but if you whish to mature in bulk or see if it throws another sediment, then crack on.
C) Do you mean priming which causes a small secondary ferment which should happen when you bottle your cider in order to carbonate it. If so then no as to carbonate the bottle needs to be airtight so an airlock defeats the object.

Didn't quite understand your question so clarify it a bit more then I/we can help more, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding it, wouldnt be the first time :thumb:

Latest posts

Back