3 Kits Tasted/Tested

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fender Precision

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is probably only relevant to newbie brewers like myself.
Last night I tasted 3 of the kits Ive got conditioning in my attic. (the beer was in the attic-not me!)
First up was Woodford Wherry bitter. This was bottled on 8/3/2011 and after only 3 weeks was really clear and one of the nicest pints Ive had. I brewed it as per instructions but with a sachet of Safale S-04 yeast. RESULT !!!
Next up was Youngs Brewbuddy Lager. Bottled on 11/3/2011. I was surprised that this was ready to drink so quick. No smells or funny taste in fact very little taste at all. A very generic lager- serve cold to people who dont have taste buds. I brewed this with the kit yeast and 500gms DME and 500gms Dextrose.
BORING !!!
Next I sampled my John Bull IPA bottled on18/2/2011. I brewed this with 1kg DME and primed with 117gms of brown sugar. This does not seem like an IPA to me, its very dark, not cleared, good head and does not taste very appealing to me. Its got a slight chemically taste, similar to my coopers kits when theyre not ready.(ironically I did add Youngs finings to this)
CONFUSED !!!
:hmm:

Nothing confusing there, all results are entirely arbitrary in my experience and alsmot certainly get better with age... the Woodfordes is a good result, lots of discussions on Wherry kits here when they've not gone quite right...

happy days G.J. Ill drink the wherry, give the so called lager to guests and im gonna leave the JB IPA in the box in the attic for a while yet and see if it improves, Cheers !

There's a Ruby Red Ale kit that me and two mates have all made, with top results every time :thumb:

Will need to look up who makes it...

BigYin said:
There's a Ruby Red Ale kit that me and two mates have all made, with top results every time :thumb:

Will need to look up who makes it...
please do and ill put it on my brew list !!

Latest posts

Back