5 months in fermentor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skulltat280

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I haven't been on the forum for a while hence the question

I never got the chance to bottle it due to personal circumstances and then kept forgetting to come on and ask until now

It's been nearly 5 months in the fermentor, has anyone bottled beer after that length of time or is it not worth the time and effort and just dump it?

I can't even taste it at the moment with hayfever, sense of smell and taste are non existant at the moment.

The missus hates beer so can't even ask her

I had a wheat beer that started to form a pellicle in the fv. As I wasn't sure if it was infected, I carefully siphoned about 3/4 of it from below the pellicle and bottled it in some 1 litre soft drink bottles that I wasn't bothered about. I threw the rest away. Turned out it was ok to drink after 1 month in the bottle.

So what I'm saying is: if in doubt, don't waste time bottling it all, just bottle some and see what happens.

I just can't imagine it's going to taste great now, and would be inclined to dump it rather than use my bottles on any of it to be honest. lol

As to the off topic, you not got any walk in test centers in your area? They opened a few up to walk ins around here, you don't even need an appointment, just symptoms.

Has it been sat on the yeast for 5 months or do you have a FV that has allowed you to dump the yeast at an earlier stage? the longest i have left mine for was 6 weeks and it was fine, but i did read anything longer than 8 weeks and you are at quite a high risk of the weight of the beer on top of the yeast being an issue.

Is anyone able to taste it for you? would seem a shame to just dump it when there is a chance it could be fine

Yeah it's been sitting on the yeast the whole time

I'll need to wait until 1 of my brothers call for a taster. Or hope my hayfever clears soon

I'll be gutted dumping 37 litres of beer lol

37 litres of beer is a lot to be sat on top of yeast for 5 months but that is also far too much beer to dump that 'might' be fine.

Do you have any secondaries/ bottling buckets you can transfer to? it might benefit from bulk aging for a few months off the yeast cake.

Out of interest how strong is this beer? a session ale might be screwed but an imperial stout could be fine

37 litres of beer is a lot to be sat on top of yeast for 5 months but that is also far too much beer to dump that 'might' be fine.

Do you have any secondaries/ bottling buckets you can transfer to? it might benefit from bulk aging for a few months off the yeast cake.

Out of interest how strong is this beer? a session ale might be screwed but an imperial stout could be fine
I've a couple of smaller buckets I could split into. Can't remember exactly what the percentage is, I'd need to check my notes but think it's a session ale (made with lager yeast) 4+%

You come ready built with the finest testing equipment. Taste the beer. If it tastes good bottle it. If not dump it.

Latest posts

Back