7 days without beer :-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have to go into hospital for a minor op tomorrow, it's only day surgery but I've Been told to stay away from alcohol for at least 7 days afterwards. I'm not sure what I'm more nervous about, not waking up or not having beer for a week!!

I would be nervous of the not drinking bit, as week is a long time. Hospital staff know what they are doing and I am sure you will be fine on that side of things.

Hey, in a whole 7 days you may even find a new hobby!

Hope not.

Matt

Hope it all goes well for you Ryan, just keep thinking what that first pint will taste like.

Plenty of time to get a mash on then! Anyway, whatever you wanted to drink probably would benefit from an extra week of cold conditioning :D

Thanks guys, words of encouragement as always :-) the morning has come, no food or drink now until after the op. Lets hope it's not a long wait! Got a couple of brewing videos on the iPad to watch while I do wait.

Last time a doctor said no drinking, my instant response was "What? Not even wine?!!!?"

Give him his dues, he said a glass with dinner was fine.

I feel your pain mate, I have a big shoulder op on the 25th and I've been told no drink for 2 months. :(

Look on the bright side, your liver gets a break :)

tis nothing I often go 6 - 8 without a beer

hours that is.

Well I made it out alive and I have to say the staff at Royal Derby hospital were brilliant. The surgeon gave me a leaflet and in it was a bit on alcohol. It said 24 hours so I asked the surgeon and he advised 48 hours :-) happy days

good luck on your recovery, a few days off work, sleep for first 24 hours and then get stuck in.... :party:

ryanshelton said:
Well I made it out alive and I have to say the staff at Royal Derby hospital were brilliant. The surgeon gave me a leaflet and in it was a bit on alcohol. It said 24 hours so I asked the surgeon and he advised 48 hours :-) happy days

That's a nice surprise then :) Expecting to have to go 168 hours without ale and then 'only' having to go 48 hours without :D

My Mrs was in hospital yesterday too - for surgery on her foot - they sent her home with suitable painkillers that would have had a no-alcohol rule, but instead she decided to leave the painkillers in the packet, and just 6 hours after surgery she was sitting on the couch, foot propped up, enjoying a glass or three of red wine :lol:

BigYin said:
My Mrs was in hospital yesterday too - for surgery on her foot - they sent her home with suitable painkillers that would have had a no-alcohol rule, but instead she decided to leave the painkillers in the packet, and just 6 hours after surgery she was sitting on the couch, foot propped up, enjoying a glass or three of red wine :lol:

I have a theory where the choice is alchohol or painkillers...

Alchohol wins almost every time, it might still hurt, but I really, REALLY don't care about the pain anymore and the boozes tastes better than the painkillers :)

The only time painkillers won was when I got knocked off the bike and broke my wrist (Xray showed 27 separate bits of bone where there used to be two bits :( ) Booze failed me then and morphine (some tablet derivative??) won the day, I still didn't care about the pain, not until the three pills I'd been allowed ran out anyway :(

Latest posts

Back