A mistake and a new leap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraeccan

Reaction score
A week ago I started two kits. One strawberry and one elderflower.
Went back yesterday to check on progress. Strawberry is doing very nicely, but the elderflower was already clear!! Thing is, there was no sediment :wha: On checking I realised that I had added the stabaliser instead of the yeast... D'oh!! :roll:
Tried to get it going, but to no avail.

So instead I started my first WOW, And blimey!! When people say it goes like a steamtrain, they 'aint lying!! One bubble a second after about 15 minutes. I've already got the ingredients to put a bluberry one on tonight. It will be joined by a new 5 gal batch of TC and a Doclands Porter.

I used Moley's how to guide, so many thanks for that chap.

Oh... forgot to mention. Asda had 500g punnets of strawberry's going for £1 each, so I've also started a 'real' strawberry wine too. These are my first moves away from kits, so wisj me luck!

:lol:

Also starting to make the move to "real" wines too. Harder work, but more rewarding in the end I think.

Excellent. Good luck and better drinking Forkbeard :cheers:

OK, so I now have 6 DJs (including a spare for racking). This is what's in;
Young's Strawberry
REAL FRUIT Strawberry (will be very interesting to compare these two).
Regular WOW (highly anticipated)
A Raspberry WOW type thing
A Sour Cherry WOW type thing.

Got a few questions...

1. I've read the WOW loses most of it's orange flavour. Does anyone know / has anyone tried this as an alternative to white wine in cooking?

2. Is there a Supermarket Juice wine that can be used as an alternative to red wine in cooking?

3. Do the WOW type wines mature quickly? As I have limited capacity, I'm tempted to continue kit wines in 2 DJs to ensure a constant supply (assuming I don't balls up, as above) but if juice wines compare well for maturation, then I can move away entirely :thumb:

Thanks for getting me this far HBF :clap:

Latest posts

Back