A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by terrym, Mar 7, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2017 #41

Godsdog

Godsdog

Godsdog

Landlord.

if you can let them fly free id recommend it,in a normal bucket pellets will sink to the bottom and racking off the finished beer is quite easy wether you have a tap in the bucket or syphon off:thumb:

2. Oct 6, 2017 #42

RichK

RichK

RichK

This week I was going to have my first go at dry hopping. Just a 20g tea bag of fuggles into a John Bull Traditional English Ale. However, when I opened the packet, I thought they smelled was awful (so didn't in the end). Now is that normal? Is that just fuggles? (maybe not the best choice???)

3. Oct 6, 2017 #43

suffolkbeer

suffolkbeer

suffolkbeer

Regular.

Just brewed a pale ale buttered with fuggles this morning. Smelled lovely to me when i opened the Vacpac

4. Oct 6, 2017 #44

Godsdog

Godsdog

Godsdog

Landlord.

Smell is just a small indicator of what aroma,taste you'll eventually end up with,unless you take the plunge you'll never know the full benefit of dry hopping

5. Oct 6, 2017 #45

terrym

terrym

terrym

If you think the hops are off it isn't worth the risk spoiling a brew for the sake of a few pence by going ahead and using them. Hops should smell, well, like hops.
    So if really in doubt I suggest you buy some more.
    Unless you have a LHBS nearby, Crossmyloof (CML) are widely used by forum members, have a good range of hops and are competitively priced.
    More here
    https://www.facebook.com/TheCrossmyloof/ or
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Crossmyloof-Brewing-Supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l256
    And it will do your brew no harm whatoever by keeping it in the FV for a few days longer, provided its all sealed up, until you get more hops organised.
    And Fuggles should be fine although 20g might not make much difference to your brew, 50g might be better. You could also consider EKG, although there are many more suitable hops out there.

6. Oct 22, 2017 #46

RichK

RichK

RichK

As an aside - I did end up using the fuggles. I did a "light" dry hop & just left them in for a day. Have just cracked open the first taster & it's turned out really well :) Next time, I'll probably dry hop a bit longer (but for a first attempt, I decided that underdoing it was better than overdoing it).

7. Mar 7, 2019 #47

napolean

napolean

napolean

Did another brew this week and just dropped the hops in (50g EKG in a Wherry). Left them in for 6 days, no funny smells or anything but when I bottled it was very cloudy and quite frothy. I’ve read that’s to be expected, but will stick to the hop sock in future. I only mention it as I don’t think I’ve seen it in this thread and it’s my go-to dry hop thread. Also made the terrym diy beer bath, that’s really helped.

8. May 9, 2019 #48

bobukbrewer

bobukbrewer

bobukbrewer

Regular.

if you boil for 60 minutes adding hop pellets at intervals and leave for a further hour, all the hop powder settles out - well not "all"...........but the irish moss charged particles will take down the remainder during fermentation - cus all my beers are crystal clear.....

9. May 9, 2019 #49

Hoddy

Hoddy

Hoddy

General lurker.......

I hate to have to break it to you but Irish moss has nothing to do with flocc’ing and clearing of your beer during fermentation.

Also are you saying that you boil your wort for 120 minutes? Or are you saying you stand your boiled wort for 60 minutes after the boil is complete?

10. May 10, 2019 #50

bobukbrewer

bobukbrewer

bobukbrewer

Regular.

...stand the boiled wort for 60 minutes...whatever irish moss does, it surely can't do it all before the end of the boil, so it must do some of it during cooling and fermentation, seems logical but....stand by for more opinions....