A simple lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dweb

Regular.
Reaction score
I've decided to try a lager after many ales. What's a single ag recipe to get started? The only lager I'd drink in a pub would be Heineken, so something in that style would be good.
I can see many recipes online but a recommendation would help.
Cheers

My bike pirate blonde ale is actually a lager recipe that uses kolsch or ale yeast. I based the recipe on the European Lager recipe from my Greg Hughes book and just used lager hops I like/had available instead of the ones in GH's recipe. It's a very simple recipe but whether it's like Heiniken I dont know because Ive never drunk heineken. I think heiniken uses Hallertau or Hallertau Herbrucker (these are the hops used in the GH recipe ) so just swap the H.Mittellfrauh and Saaz and adjust the magnum to hit the IBUs.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/bike-pirate-blonde-pseudo-lager.77320/

A SMasH with pilsner malt and either Saaz or one of the Hallertaus is probably the easiest way to do it.

I'm looking at doing a AG lager myself for my next brew when I get the 10 litre FV in the next week or so.

I'm looking at doing a AG lager myself for my next brew when I get the 10 litre FV in the next week or so.

You'll need a brew fridge if you want to make a 'proper' lager as you'll need to ferment at 7C-13C then cold condition at about 2C. If you have no temp control the best option is to use MJ or CML californian common yeast and ferment as cool as your able

You'll need a brew fridge if you want to make a 'proper' lager as you'll need to ferment at 7C-13C then cold condition at about 2C. If you have no temp control the best option is to use MJ or CML californian common yeast and ferment as cool as your able

Nope not got a brew fridge (yet), so will likely wait to make that until about October or so when its cooler then, but use MJ.

A couple of years ago I brewed a "pilsner" with Wyeast's Pac man yeast at 72f (21 c?). I got a score of 33 with it in the German pilsner category.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back