Adding fruit to a wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I purchased a wheat beer kit yesterday and I was wondering how and when I add fruit to it please possibly raspberry or strawberry

I think I added about 5 days or a week in a I cannot remember.. I used frozen raspberries straight from supermarket dumped them in from the freezer directly out of the bags.

Turned out great

No just do as Covrich says thaw them out then dump them in. You could use a large hop bag if you wanted to contain the fruit so that it is possible to remove them or if not a good cold crash should help to make them go to the bottom although some fruits do tend to float.
Ps I usually do it after the first stage of fermentation slows down say day 4 or 5, you will also lose quite a bit of beer to the fruit through absorption
I used 3 to 4 bags of the frozen supermarket bags to give a fruity taste without overpowering the beer too much (I use Aldi)

No just do as Covrich says thaw them out then dump them in. You could use a large hop bag if you wanted to contain the fruit so that it is possible to remove them or if not a good cold crash should help to make them go to the bottom although some fruits do tend to float.
Ps I usually do it after the first stage of fermentation slows down say day 4 or 5, you will also lose quite a bit of beer to the fruit through absorption
I used 3 to 4 bags of the frozen supermarket bags to give a fruity taste without overpowering the beer too much (I use Aldi)
Sorry new to this! What is cold crashing please?

Cold crashing is moving the fermentation vessel once it has stopped fermenting to a cold place. Some brewers use a fridge but if you do not have a fridge at this time of the year you could move it to a stone floored garage or outside building/shed where it is coldest. The cold helps the yeast and trub to settle to the bottom aiding a clearer beer.

Thanks Baron I'll try that when I have done the fermentation I have 2 brews ready to bottle/pressure barrell do you recommend priming the barrell or using co2 and do I add the co2 as soon as I barrell

for my 23l brew i bought what came to 2.6kg of frozen raspberries.. like Baron says, just tip them straight in..

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_080902.jpg
    IMG_20201115_080902.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 59
Until very recently we had a massive bed of raspberries in our garden, so they usually ended-up in my beers, wines & ciders.

I always blitzed them in a blender and then simmered them in a pan with some sugar & water for 10 minutes to pasteurise them.

I then use a fine metal cooks sieve to filter-out the pulp & seeds before adding to the hot wort before fermentation.

Its also worth adding some pectolase to the FV to prevent pectin haze in your finished brew.

image.jpeg

Frozen raspberries 1kg thawed put into a muslin bag for a 11 litre brew. Added them to the 2FV and left for a week, removed the bag and bottled.

I have used Raspberry puree for cocktails, fruit no preservatives, I got it from the digital forest.

Add to the FV when the fermentation slows.

Aamcle

Most people with Pressure Barrels the plastic type and not Corny Kegs would use sugar in the barrel to produce the CO2. If you have a adaptor for CO2 on the PB you can add some gas but I think that they are not good at holding higher pressure from gas injection as you have to be careful as to how much you add or it can cause leaks. I do not use PB's so not in the best place to advise but plenty do and I am sure some members will pipe up who have them and can give hands on advice

Latest posts

Back