Adding more sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfyg

Reaction score
I have bought the beaverdale 30 bottle kit,it says you don't need sugar, however if I was to add sugar & more yeast would it strengthen the wine up &if so how much sugar could I ad

Adding more sugar will boost the % ABV but as the standard wine will be around 13% why not make it as per instructions so you have something to compare your future experiments to.

Boosting ABV does not always make a better beer/wine the kit has been produced to make the best of the ingredients. as most good wines are in the 12.5/13 % abv I too would make as is first time

I grow my own red grapes the sugar content of the grapes differ a bit each season this year they came in at 1080 once in the fermenter which is about right to me, last couple of years I added brewing sugar to get the starting gravity up to 1080 I suppose its horses for courses

Boosting ABV does not always make a better beer/wine the kit has been produced to make the best of the ingredients. as most good wines are in the 12.5/13 % abv I too would make as is first time
last couple of years I added brewing sugar to get the starting gravity up to 1080 I suppose its horses for courses

aaaa.JPG

Last edited:
Adding more sugar will boost the % ABV but as the standard wine will be around 13% why not make it as per instructions so you have something to compare your future experiments to.
This is my third go ,the first batch I did as the instructions said & it was good ,the second I added some sugar & some more yeast & ,I would say it was even better , however I was wondering if there was an equation for yeast to sugar in this without ruining it

In what way do you mean better all you are doing is making the % ABV higher you are not improving the wine.
I meant strength taste was still really good,I added the wine concentrate & water to the tub & left it for 3/4 days when I went to add the yeast I noticed there was some sort of mould on the top of the liquid I syphoned it off & added the yeast however it has been 3 days & it doesn't seem to be fermenting ,is it ruined you think ?

This is my third go ,the first batch I did as the instructions said & it was good ,the second I added some sugar & some more yeast & ,I would say it was even better , however I was wondering if there was an equation for yeast to sugar in this without ruining it

This question comes up fairly regularly with new members so to help other new member that want an answer to the same question can i ask why you need it to be stronger than 13% ABV, how does that make it "better" as you mentioned above, as you have said yourself more % ABV doesn't make the wine taste any better so why do you want to get a higher % ABV?
(How high do you want it to go)

I meant strength taste was still really good,I added the wine concentrate & water to the tub & left it for 3/4 days when I went to add the yeast I noticed there was some sort of mould on the top of the liquid I syphoned it off & added the yeast however it has been 3 days & it doesn't seem to be fermenting ,is it ruined you think ?
If this is a kit wine why did you leave it 3 to 4 days before pitching yeast, all the kits i have ever done you put everything in right at the start, country wines are the only ones you steep the friut, flower or veg. Sounds like you might have an infection.

If this is a kit wine why did you leave it 3 to 4 days before pitching yeast, all the kits i have ever done you put everything in right at the start, country wines are the only ones you steep the friut, flower or veg. Sounds like you might have an infection.
I thought I had put the yeast in,however I added more yeast & it seems to be fermenting away just fine now cheers

Latest posts

Back