Adjusting a recipe to use hop pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook123_uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

For my next brew, I'm going to be using a recipe that calls for leaf hops. As I couldn't get some in leaf and I already had some pellets, I'll be using all pellets.

I've read that I should be using less when it comes to pellets to achieve the same bitterness etc. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Should I be reducing by a small amount or not bother reducing at all?

Cheers,
Rich

I believe it's about 10%, but only early additions for IBUs. If you use software you can select leaf or pellets. The amount of difference is barely worth worrying about, probably.

I'll get Beersmith on the go.. If that's the case, I may drop a little for the 60min Chinook addition to try and match the IBU. After that, I'll probably just go with the same amounts.. I don't mind it a little hoppier!

Actually... a quick question on pellet usage in the kettle.

I was about to buy a bazooka filter but am now worried it will get clogged with using pellets.. What's everyones experience with using pellets in the bill and filters clogging?

I currently have one made from copper pipe with holes drilled in it but haven't used it with pellets.

Cheers,
Rich

Latest posts

Back