Advice please on recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cnelsonplumber

Tomorrow is by first real AG and I was thinking of brewing the following:

Leading the blind

This is a recipe created from ingredients I have using the tools in the recipe section to give me a sensible IBU and colour.
I must say that the recipe section calculators are another first class part of this excellent forum which will only get better once my IT is up to speed!

I have thought about switching the Fuggles and Cascade which makes it more similar to several other beers

Personally I'd swap the fuggles and the cascade, or some mix of the two. A 90 and a 60 addition seems a bit of a waste as both will give almost entirely bitterness.

May be fuggles at 90 and then a mix of cascade and fuggles at 20 and 5?

Personally I'd tend to use a bit more crystal as well but that is personal taste.

I would agree with rich, also not much reason to use such small quantities of chocolate & black malt, I would drop them and use 5-7% crystal and the rest pale. Fuggles will give you a nice tasty bittering and cascade are really a late aroma hop which is all grapefruit, so adjust to your pallette. good luck with the brew :cheers:

How about

Pale 93%
Crystal 7%

Fuggles 90 min 25 IBU
Cascade 15 min 7 IBU
Cascade 5 min 3 IBU
Cascade 25g aroma 20 min steep at 80C

I think you'll get a nice APA with this :cheers:

Good Ed said:
I would agree with rich, also not much reason to use such small quantities of chocolate & black malt, I would drop them and use 5-7% crystal and the rest pale. Fuggles will give you a nice tasty bittering and cascade are really a late aroma hop which is all grapefruit, so adjust to your pallette. good luck with the brew :cheers:

Having got one fermenting at the moment with 50 + 50g chocolate and roast barley (albeit with crystal also), I'd defend small quantities of these as (hopefully) giving subtle tastes, without the tongue-clacking bite of darker beers. My 12-hour, overnight, mash has left it pretty dark though.

As a lover of light hoppy beers, I looked at the recipe with interest, but also warmed to the earlier suggestion of adding cascade. If nothing else, this will be an interesting brew - let's celebrate the freedom that AG gives us :thumb:

battwave said:
Having got one fermenting at the moment with 50 + 50g chocolate and roast barley (albeit with crystal also), I'd defend small quantities of these as (hopefully) giving subtle tastes, without the tongue-clacking bite of darker beers. My 12-hour, overnight, mash has left it pretty dark though.

Sorry Batt, I didn't mean to be dismissive of adding small quantities; Big Kenny is a good example of such; I just thought cnelsonplumber would be better getting to know pale and crystal first before discovering other tastes. Good luck with the brew :thumb:

Good Ed said:
Sorry Batt, I didn't mean to be dismissive of adding small quantities; Big Kenny is a good example of such; I just thought cnelsonplumber would be better getting to know pale and crystal first before discovering other tastes. Good luck with the brew :thumb:

No dismissiveness perceived Ed; this is just what I love: there's no perfect brew, no right answers (a few wrong ones mind-you!), and a lifetime of discovery ahead of us!

Thisis the final recipe incorporating ideas from you guys. It is a little darker than I thought it might be but I kinda like that.

The final gravity was 1056 which is a couple of points higher than calculated and it's currently fermenting away merrily.

Hope to bring some to the Spring Thing :drunk:

Latest posts

Back