AG#1, all systems go!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been doing extracts for years and last year progressed to partials, so it had to happen!
I'll post details and pictures later. I'm using my interpretation of BIAB but using 2 sheets of nylon voile, one to mash in and the other as a filter over the FV to strain the hops after the boil. I'll call it BITS brewing for Brew In Two Sheets!
The only equipment I had to buy was a length of voile and a 32l stockpot, both from Ebay.
I was having trouble getting a boil going but found that it was merely the placing of the pan to get sufficient heat from the hotplates on our electric cooker. I'll just go breath in the aroma and will update later. :thumb:

EDIT...........I'm adding the rest as an edit to keep it at the top of the thread.

...........I'm seriously chuffed. A few little difficulties due to inexperience, but it's all turned out well. Here's the recipe.

I heated 20l of water to 70C in the pan and 2 kettles. It's a lot of water!

Instead of sewing up a bag I am using a sheet of nylon curtain. It's simpler and when full of grain it cannot fall through a slip knot, so you can suspend it above the pan. There's more material on the top side of the knot so the more it tries to escape, the more jammed in it gets.

I mashed for 90 minutes, insulated with a sleeping bag. The temp fell to 64C. I then heated to 78C, stirring since I have read it is important in BIAB, giving a significant rise in efficiency.

I hopped in 3 stages, 60, 20 and zero minutes. Here are the last hops going in for a 20 minute steep.

I fitted a second sheet around the FV and tipped the pan full of wort and hops in, then collected the sheet from around the FV and suspended it.

This is the same technique I used with the malt.

I checked and corrected the gravity. OG 1053. The approx. efficiency is 77%.
Very pleased about that. I hit the 15l target spot on.

I will probably add some dry hops in a few more days. 20g Citra? I haven't chilled. I will pitch the yeast in the morning.
I filtered out the hops by fixing a second sheet over the FV

:thumb: :thumb:

Another mans brew day is almost as good as your own...almost but not quite... ;)

rich27500 said:
That's top work, now m looking forward to a pic of a finished pint and tasting notes!
I forgot to buy and use Irish Moss so it might not be sparkling clear but if it tastes as good as my Filey Ale, which was similar in hops but made with extract, then I'll be made up :D

It's got off to a slower start than I've been used to. I didn't do any more aeration after I'd poured from pan to FV through the nylon sheet. I blame first night nerves! I'll post my impressions in about 4 weeks, though I'll probably sneak a cheeky one before that. :cheers:

Back