AG#2 Ringwood Fortyniner clone-1 October 2010

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash

Reaction score
Kicked off A#2 at about 09:30 this morning; it's boiling away nicely now. :thumb: No major problems; even remembered to fit he hop filter to to the boiler this time! Just about managed to collect the required amount of wort after the mash this time, but still having efficiency problems. Think i'm probably sparging too quickly or something. :hmm:

When I "fly" sparge, it normally takes 30 - 40 mins (85% BHE).
Hope your AG#2 turns out ok! :thumb:

Ended up short after the boil, but added water to the FV up to the desired 19l and somehow ended up with spot on target OG of 1049! :clap:

ash said:
Fermenting like a goodun this morning!

super. looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I had a few scoops of this the other week in our local - great stuff.

what yeast did you use?

I had a pint the other weekend and remember it tasting quite fruity. The flavours associated with a traditional british ale yeast like windsor. Takes a lot longer to drop out though but definitely fruity. Something to try maybe if you do another batch in the future to compare to the so4 batch.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind if I brew it again. How much does yeast generally affect the flavour? Never really given it much thought to be honest and just use SO4 as always found it reliable.

Considerably! What i have done in the past is split a 5 gallon brew into 1 gallon demijohns and pitched different yeasts for comparision. Some yeast impart more fruity, estery flavours, some let the malts and sweet flavours come through more and others let the hops shine. yeasts like so4 and nottingham are great reliable neutral yeasts with no yeast fruitiness and good malt and hop balance. Get experimenting, you'll love it. :cheers:

Back